• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tar paper under carpets

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Having read the healey book it says that 30 pound "Tar Paper" was used under the carpet before the Jute.
Is this really just roofing felt ? if so what type/grade is used, and does it cover all the floorpan area.
Do the modern day carpet sets come with the jute allready on them.

Rob

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
It is just your ordinary 30# roofing felt you get at the home store. It covers all of the floorpan area. The modern carpets I have bought have jute or another type of pad with them but not attached to the carpet.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Rob,

If trying to be correct, yes it would be tar paper, jute, then the carpet. The jute is separate from the carpet. The Jute goes on the floor, the sides. I believe it goes around the trans tunnel also. I believe it goes every where the carpet does. Others should confirm, as I am not positive about the trans tunnel.

If making a driver and not concerned about concourse or keeping original, you may consider replacing the tar paper with Dynamate Extreme. The "Extreme" is thicker and more importantly, has a foil layer on top. The foil helps with the heat issue and the thicker Dynamate helps quite the car a bit.

Cheers,
Roger

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
AUSMHLY said:
Hi Rob,

If making a driver and not concerned about concourse or keeping original, you may consider replacing the tar paper with Dynamate Extreme. The "Extreme" is thicker and more importantly, has a foil layer on top. The foil helps with the heat issue and the thicker Dynamate helps quite the car a bit.
Cheers,
Roger
Additionally, consider replacing the jute with 1/4" closed cell foam. It insulates better & does not absorb water. Jute absorbs/attracts water like a sponge. IMO, jute is the devil's own invention.
D

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Roger

I had a search on the web and have found the dynamat extreme, i take it the foil goes up the way or is it on both sides anyway.

Rob

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dave

Any ideas where i would get the 1/4" closed cell foam from in the UK, is it something a furniture shop supplier would do ?

Also should i be putting some sort of heat/sound resistant lining on the inside top of the front bulkhead where all the cables etc come through.

Rob

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rob,

The foil side of the Dynamate Extreme will be on top. The bottom will have a thin layer of removable paper that will expose the self stick. A handy tool is a wood hand roller or anything that will help apply pressure. A heat gun also helps soften the Dynamate.

I agree with Dave. Jute is old school. It hold water like a sponge and if left wet, will start to mold. I used a product from LOW-E instead. It has foil on both sides, and does not absorb water. I applied it to the outside of the trans tunnel too. Read about how the car guys use it. Here is a link to LOW-E.

https://www.low-e.com/application/application_view.php?Application_Name=Automotive

Here are 3 photo's of my installation:

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Jute is 'old school' but that's o.k. with me. After all, the Healey is old school, n'est pas? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Yes, jute will absorb water which is why they designed those pieces to be removed to dry out. So in either case, if you use jute or foam, and you are unfortunate enough to get rained on without the top, then you need to remove the carpets, jute or foam and dry out the sheet metal. If things got really flooded (let's say it rained hard with the top down)I would take out everything down to the sheet metal to dry it all out. If you use dynamat or equiv. you will want to make sure it hermetically seals to the substrate so water can not get between it and the metal. I've used similar materials on other projects and Roger's suggestion of using a heat gun was important to get the material pliable enough to form to the contours and seal properly.
Cheers,
John

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dave

Found some closed cell foam from my rubber supplier & have opted for a product called damplifier that i believe is equivalent to dynamat (from https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk.

Is it neccesary to put any insulation at the top inside of the bulkhead, is this mainly for heat again or can it be a bit noisy.

Rob

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
chicken said:
Dave
Is it neccesary to put any insulation at the top inside of the bulkhead, is this mainly for heat again or can it be a bit noisy.
Rob
It reduces heat quite a bit.

Damplifier appears to have a Butyl adhesive similar to Dynamat Extreme so it should work well. Some of the other products do not have a high quality adhesive & don't seal so well.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
John Loftus said:
Roger's suggestion of using a heat gun was important to get the material pliable enough to form to the contours and seal properly.
Cheers,
John
The stuff is so sticky that I've resorted to putting it in a freezer before cutting, fitting, & peeling. Then get it in place, warm it with a heat gun, & roll it down with a wallpaper roller. After installing, painted to match the car interior. Between rolling down & the paint, it's very well sealed from any water getting underneath. Looks pretty much like the original floor.

With the loose layed 1/4" foam & carpet snapped into place over the sealed insulation, easy to remove the carpet to dry out any "accidents".
D

RobWarren

Jedi Hopeful
I had a quote today from the chap who's going to fit my carpet for me and he said if I want the self adhesive silver bitumen heat shield it costs US$70.00 per sheet (1m x 1.3m).

I'm wondering if it's worth doing the whole cockpit including trans tunnel and how many metres it would be in total.

Gets a bit hot here in Australia. Especially when stuck at the lights so I'm thinking about the shield.....anyone have an experience? Sound too expensive?

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
AUSMHLY

Thanks for the photo's of the dynamat installation, very helpfull.
On you picture i also noticed the fixing points for what i believe are the seat belts (the round eyelets), are these original, can't seem to find any reference to them in the parts books.
I was supplied with a straight seat belt accross the waist from SC Parts, very expensive and fitting is by drilling a hole and bolting the bracket through the floor with a big washer on the other side, this doesn't seem very good to me.
I like the look of the eyelets, (are they bolted in) and then do you use a 3 point seat belt, where can i get one from?

Rob