• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BMW To Resurrect Triumph?

roofman

Jedi Knight
This was covered sometime in the past, including a picture. Tried to use search but wasn't working.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here with us.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, welcome aboard.

BMW bought the Triumph name when they acquired the Mini name. What they will do with it is still really up in the air at this moment. Rumors keep going around. If and when they ever build a Triumph, it will be German (not neccessarily bad), just as the Mini is. I just hope that Bangle doesn't have a hand in the styling. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif That Z4 is, IMO, ugly.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Well, BMW is a bit of a bad word over here. They bought over the Rover Group. Kept the Land Rover four-wheel-drive patents and then sold Land Rover.
They kept hold of the Mini prototype that had been developed prior to their acquisition and then sold off the rest of the Rover Group to Phoenix.
To my eyes it looks as though they wanted the New Mini and the 4X4 patents and that was the only reason they bought the company. What they spat out after their rape and pillage session was not a viable company and many people lost their jobs as a result.
I imagine that the only reason they would resurrect the Triumph name would be if MG became very profitable in the USA.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
By that reasoning, there are no Jags, Saabs, land rovers, minis, jeeps, lambos.... I understand the idea behind your theory but in days where the big three or four control 75% of the brand names there is little option. I know BMW owns Mini but I feel they have been loyal to the tradtion so I buy off on there being a Mini. I know Chrysler and then Diamler and now the new company owns Jeep but they have stayed mostly true to the brand. If Jeep keeps up the Compass and Patriot stuff they will become watered down and indistishable from other Chrysler products. Then I woudl agree there is no Jeep. JMHO

V

vagt6

BMW certainly knows how to market their stuff.

And, I'm not sure, but ANY Triumph is better than NO Triumph, even if it's a BMW!

I have on '05 MINI S, and I can tell you that it certainly feels like a BMW. The build quality is excellent.

The scary part might arise if BMW tries to keep any new Triumph effort "cheap", like the original marque. I don't like the idea of a small sports car for the "masses" (i.e., built cheaply to sell in volume).

That would be a big mistake, IMHO.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
vagt6 said:
... I don't like the idea of a small sports car for the "masses" (i.e., built cheaply to sell in volume).

That would be a big mistake, IMHO.

It works for Mazda! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif I've got a Miata, and it's a good sports car. True to the tradition of LBC's.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
PATR8 said:
By that reasoning, there are no Jags, Saabs, land rovers, minis, jeeps, lambos.... I understand the idea behind your theory but in days where the big three or four control 75% of the brand names there is little option. I know BMW owns Mini but I feel they have been loyal to the tradtion so I buy off on there being a Mini. I know Chrysler and then Diamler and now the new company owns Jeep but they have stayed mostly true to the brand. If Jeep keeps up the Compass and Patriot stuff they will become watered down and indistishable from other Chrysler products. Then I woudl agree there is no Jeep. JMHO

When there is continuity, it is a continuation of the line, often with many of the same people involved. When there is a large lapse in the production, it is a copy in my mind. The new Mini would be a good car if the called it a BMW as well. Different situation in my mind. If BMW builds a cool 2 seat roadster that is affordable and a decent car, then I would be happy, but would not think of it as a Triumph at this time.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
If they do to the TR6 what they did to the MINI, it will be a super car but IT WILL NOT BE AN ENGLISH SPORTS CAR in the classic terms. Lets see, no flex in the frame, high tech rear suspension, front struts, cross flow head with computer injection, six speed tranny.... it just will not be a TRIUMPH.

V

vagt6

vettedog72 said:
If they do to the TR6 what they did to the MINI, it will be a super car but IT WILL NOT BE AN ENGLISH SPORTS CAR in the classic terms. Lets see, no flex in the frame, high tech rear suspension, front struts, cross flow head with computer injection, six speed tranny.... it just will not be a TRIUMPH.

Nope, no one could ever remake the original Triumph. It simply wouldn't sell to the masses.

However, a "new" BMW Triumph would definitely raise the value of the old, original Triumphs! Look what the new MINI did to old Mini Cooper values! Heck,nicely restored Mini Coopers a fetching relatively ridiculous prices nowadays. Most of it's due to he MINI.

So, everyone rush out and buy an old Triumph before the new ones come out!!!

G

BMW could have called that new Mini anything and young women would still be buying the car. Over 80% of all BMW Mini sales are to women, not 60's former Mini Cooper guys. The name Triumph does not mean anything to most people anymore, it's been dead too long. The masses will not flock to the dealerships to buy a Triumph, they will flock to buy the new Triumph by BMW.

OP
T

tshea

Freshman Member
Stirkle said:
BMW could have called that new Mini anything and young women would still be buying the car. Over 80% of all BMW Mini sales are to women, not 60's former Mini Cooper guys. The name Triumph does not mean anything to most people anymore, it's been dead too long. The masses will not flock to the dealerships to buy a Triumph, they will flock to buy the new Triumph by BMW.

Hummmmm...where'd that 80% figure come from? I see plenty of men driving them, including me (who would have thought that in this day and age I'd own two British cars!). I bought my Cooper S (which I share with my wife, and yes, it's a manual) simply because it's a blast to drive -- reasonably quick and (most important) very nimble. I see it as a worthy successor to my long-gone '73 BMW 2002.

As for a BMW-designed and -made Triumph, I say bring it on. Sure, maybe they'll screw it up, and if so, too bad. But, maybe, just maybe, they'll develop a good looking, good handling, reasonably quick, well-built and affordable two-seat roadster.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
tshea Hummmmm...where'd that 80% figure come from? I see plenty of men driving them said:
Hey, got one here as well '04 S manual, lots of fun.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Patrick

IanF

Jedi Trainee
vettedog72 said:

As someone who just spent most of their Sunday underneath 4 different MINI's during our local club's "wash n'wax/tech day", I will say that despite their BMW engineering, these are PROPER English cars...

How so?

After 50K miles or so, the bottoms of the engines are covered with oil! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

G

IanF said:
vettedog72 said:

As someone who just spent most of their Sunday underneath 4 different MINI's during our local club's "wash n'wax/tech day", I will say that despite their BMW engineering, these are PROPER English cars...

How so?

After 50K miles or so, the bottoms of the engines are covered with oil! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Sorry but no self respecting British car ever went near a whole 50K miles without an oil leak. So they are better. Darn it all.