• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1990 BMW 525I - Questions

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What does anyone know about these. I've been offered one and want to make sure it is not a huge Money Pit. What are the repair records like on this?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I dunno, but I'm on week 2 of trying to get the right Bosch fuel pump for my disabled 91 318IS. I think I found one at a mere $260 !!!! gyaah!
I can't fathom that there were that many different pumps for 1 car. but this has been a wild goose chase.
Other that that, it's been a wonderful little car.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It's a guy I work with. Saw that I had a few MG's and figured I was a car guy. Car was parked 5 years ago. Was time to invest in the beemer or buy a new one so they took it to the dealer to have checked out. Of course the dealer told them it was going to be $4000 to get roadworthy. Keep in mind this is a car that they had driven with zero problems for 13 years. I went to his house, dropped in a battery and it started right up. Idled and kicked down and sounded great. I'm going to look over the brakes and hoses when I get it home but I think she'll be fine. I'm also asking for the dealer list so I know what to look for. I bet it was so high because of the dealer's hourly rate and whatever parts they could throw in to scare them into buying a new car. I got it for near nothing. Body and interior are in great shape.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The E36 5-series are great cars! Well-made, solid, reliable..... I drive a '92 525iT (the wagon) and I love it. Weak points were the cooling system, the water pumps included. Radiators were, I think, somewhat suspect but I have had only one issue and that was a heater valve.

They do tend to go through brakes at a high rate. It's a big, heavy car and gets a move on so brakes tend to work harder than normal. Fuel economy could be better. Handling is excellent.

Rust tends to attack the bottom of the doors first.

You will love the little touches on this car that tell you someone was thinking about what they were doing when they designed it. I have had mine three years now, and it has cost me almost nothing in repairs (it does need a few now, but it still costs me less than if I had a car payment). Can't think of anything bad to say about it.

In short, I love the darn thing!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just my opinion, so:

The 3-series cars are "entry level"... and "tinny" in comparison to th' 5's. If you're gonna own a Bimmer, a 5 is a good start. You're gonna learn a LOT about fuel management systems and the German approach to mechanical engineering tho. :smirk:

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What does the E36 and all those other numbers I've seen on websites stand for?

I'll assume a 3 series is like a 325 and a 5 series is a 525.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
E36 is the model designation from BMW, as there (are) many varieties of the different models.

Actually I goofed, yours (and mine)is an E34. E36 is the designation given to the 3-series cars from 1992 and later. E30 was for the series that Ben's 318 belongs to.

5 denotes the series, and 25 denotes engine capacity. The later 540i was a four-litre V8.

Your E34 is considered to be one of the best models of car that BMW ever produced.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had a 88 535is for 7 years. I loved the car, solid, comfortable and well make. It would loaf at 75mph just over 2000 rpm and still pass almost anything. But it's gone as of last fall, repair was beyond me and everything is expensive. Yes brakes were a constant, wheel balence was critical, $1000 here and $1000 there got old. But I enjoyed it every time I drove it. Check the tire size, my standard rims were metric with the tire size no longer made, had to get rims and tires.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Was it costly because of parts or labor or both. di you wrench it yourself?

If I've done just about everything on a MGB would I have the ability to work on the BMW or is it an entirely different animal.

Again is was so cheap I could not pass it up. It'll need some work but overall a very solid car.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I did not work on it but wrote checks. I can keep my TR running (hope I didn't jinx myself) but fuel injection etc are beyond me. Others could speak better than I on repair but it is more complicated and intricate. Parts and labor both expensive. Front struts $600 and rear $600. Air cond retro fit $1500. Heater fan $500. Short in wires diagnose $800. Ft brakes and sticky caliper a couple times X $200-500. Idler valve would stick at times. So on and on. My take is though BMW is well made car doesn't mean it doesn't require a lot of attention. But if you get in cheap those bills still are just part of driving a cooler car than most on the road. I won't get another BMW but I did love to drive it. It was solid and fast. And yes I also think the 5 is much more car than the 3 but when you go up to the 7 your talking more of a sled. Of course there is the V8.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ilooked at an '87 5 series when we were looking
for a car for our Daughter.It was owned by some
very nice people who bought it for their Son.
After putting $7000 into it,they were ready to
sell it,plus they didn't need an extra car.
I was really set on buying it,until I read the
gas milage figures - 12 to 19 MPG.But what a cool
car.

- Doug

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No 100% concerned with the Milage at this point. The initial purchase price for the car is near free so if I need do some work to it, I'm prepared for it. My daughter is going to be getting a license in a year or 2 so having this as a spare car will be good for us. Although should could use my Ranger or and MG if she had to. :smile:

R

RonMacPherson

Two big problems that I encounter with BMW's almost daily, German rubber. The control arm bushings, boots, etc. last around three years, then start deteriorating, hoses last another year or two longer. Then you're gonna need replacing all the gaskets, sealants, every three to four years.

Lucas engineers, when the British Auto Industry tanked, moved across the channel and went to work for MB/BMW/Audi/Porsche.

i.e. the electrics, especially relays, wire harness connectors do NOT last....

Oh, along with the rubber deterioration, don't forget plastic deterioration, the relay and terminal connectors and holders crumble with age.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My car is a '92, with 103K on it. Just dropped $670 on it yesterday for exhaust repair (original system) new rear calipers, rotors, pads, sensors, right swaybar link, oil and filter change at a local shop that understands european stuff. Still a lot less than car payments would have run me.

Not doubting Ron's above statement for a minute, because I have heard of the relaibility and durability nightmares of BMWs made in the last fifteen years or so, however I have not experienced any of those issues with mine. The E34 5-series is reputed to be the best cars that BMW ever produced, and nothing has caused me to doubt that in over three years of ownership.

As always, "your mileage may vary" :laugh:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Mine's back on the road. Found a Bosch pump at the Garage cost of $160 (list was over $300)
Running like a watch. things mine needs.... muffler. rotten through and getting louder. Left lower control arm, bushing is bad, and rattles over bumps. Machine front rotors, has a shake when braking. Check the tires, got a shake at 55-65. probably balance. Clean out the intake/idle valve. surges a bit when cold. and a new drivers door seal. the old one is shrinking and pulling away from the body.
But it gets 28-30 MPG on the highway, and loves to cruise.
I'm sure a 5 series is a whole lot more car, but the 3 was a chance grab, and I've not regretted having it.