• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BMW M3

Country flag
I got stuck behind a BMW M3 on one of my favorite twisty roads. I think he realized he was holding me up, because he dropped the hammer and I had a little trouble sticking with him. I think if the road would have had a few switch backs I could have reeled him in. He obviously knew the road and I stayed with him. Even when we hit the straight I decide to stay with him up until the next intersection... just so he'd have a similar story to tell about a little Sprite with a nut case driver that dared to follow him down the old road.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic!

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
just so he'd have a similar story to tell about a little Sprite with a nut case driver that dared to follow him down the old road.

I think I've heard this story before :driving:

AIb9UDY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Trevor Jessie said:
I think if the road would have had a few switch backs I could have reeled him in.

I don't think so. :driving:

Maybe an E30 or an E36 variant. The E46 will eat you for lunch and the E9n will run rings around you.

G

Scott_Hower said:
Trevor Jessie said:
I think if the road would have had a few switch backs I could have reeled him in.

I don't think so. :driving:

Maybe an E30 or an E36 variant.

We have two at work and I don't think so on those either.

Our E30 variant (S52) keeps up w/ our Ferrari 360 Challenge car.

I hate to say this, but a Spridget is no match for any M3 if driven by a compitent driver. I'll even include the E36 M3ti.

If by variant you mean stock, then maybe an E30 325e or a 318 but man those cars are nice machines.

Sorry to say this but Trev, he may have been playing with you.

If you've ever ridden in one at the track you'd know what I'm talking about.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
He may have been playing with me, but it was still fun. He knew the road and I only saw him make one mistake when he went into an off camber curve a bit fast and the rear of his car kicked out, but he caught it nicely.

The road was one curve after another and I do not think we were ever 80 mph until we hit the straight.

Usually on that road I get behind an SUV driver that never breaks 30 mph and practically stops on the curves. It was rather refreshing to follow someone that was actually driving.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I do not know exactly what model it was, it was a convertible, had an M3 badge and sounded like a V8. What would that be? It looked like a new car.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Sounds like your bubble's been popped already, but I have a non-M3 E46 (330Ci convertible) and it'll blow any reasonably stock sprite into the weeds without even breathing hard, whether it's on the straightaways or extreme twisties. The down side of this is that with the massive amounts of grip and power available it is a bit too easy to negotiate those twisties, which is why the Sprite is so much more fun to drive.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
My Sprite is not reasonably stock, and it was obvious to me that the BMW was in no danger of being in my way. However, I can't help to think that he may have been shocked to see me in his mirror after every turn. Honestly, I backed off a bit when he almost fumbled on that one curve. (It's all fun and games until someone is heading off the road tail-end first)

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Kinda like the last one.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Trevor Jessie said:
I do not know exactly what model it was, it was a convertible, had an M3 badge and sounded like a V8. What would that be? It looked like a new car.

The only M3 made with a V8 is the current model. It's got 420hp on tap.

nomad

Yoda
Trevor, I know your car is far from stock and I'm sure you surprised him a bit and maybe made him think about how far things have come in 50 years!!
I'm sure it was fun!

Kurt.

G

Scott_Hower said:
Trevor Jessie said:

The only M3 made with a V8 is the current model. It's got 420hp on tap.

The Boss' daily driver.

Trev, I love ya like a brother but I can assure you without ~ANY~ doubt that no Spridget alive now or ever could keep up w/ an E92 M3.

That all wheel drive Midget in the UK w/ M3 running gear might stay kinda close, but the E92 M3 is one fine machine.

Trevor Jessie said:
I only saw him make one mistake when he went into an off camber curve a bit fast and the rear of his car kicked out, but he caught it nicely.

The DSC is probably what saved him. Boss #2 says it's a beautiful thing to see in action.

Still all good fun though.

I drove an E46 M3 gutted to around 3000#'s, all aluminum 7 1/2" clutch and flywheel that was putting 371 to the wheels with just a tune and that thing screamed! Maggie couldn't keep up with that thing even if she was chained to the rear bumper. The car would hit redline before you even thought about pressing the gas pedal.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Maybe he wasn't as good a driver as I thought. I'm sure the guy in the car we passed on the straight had a good laugh when the BMW roared by and then the sprite went buzzing by at nearly 6K.

I'm glad he was in front of me and not behind me. More entertaining and less pressure.