• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Best way to clean TR3 Bakelite horn button?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Try plastic polish and a soft cloth, or if it is really "patinated" use 4/0 steel wool with polish first.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Sounds like it would work. Thanks Jesse 64 Chrysler Newport wagon! Now thre's an example of huge American iron. Probably bigger than the 57 Buick I used to have. :smile: Did they have the Slant 6 back then?

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish I bought at CTC (Canadian Tire). It is a paste and worked quite well (a very mild abrasive). I've not reassembled everything yet, but the horn push is still looks good after a couple of months of sitting. Cheers, Mike

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Brasso works wonders as long as it's not really dried up and porous. Very similar to the above mentioned Mothers product, maybe even a bit milder.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I cleaned mine up with 1000 grit sandpaper and had it sprayed black with the same 2-pack black paint that the paint shop was using for the rest of my black 1958 TR3A. This was in 2007 and it still looks super.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

lbcs_r_fun

Jedi Hopeful
karls59tr said:
and maybe even shine it up?

Karl: Its easy to clean Bakelite, but you can't replace the resin that's gone. That's why the surface becomes rough with age and looks brown. As others have suggested you can have it painted it with a good quality urethane. However if you use a clear coat be sure the painter selects one of the u/v resistant types.

good luck, T

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
lbcs_r_fun said:
karls59tr said:
and maybe even shine it up?

Karl: Its easy to clean Bakelite, but you can't replace the resin that's gone.
good luck, T

It's possible that the makers of the Bakelite products used more resin on the surface or the process somehow "floated" the resin to the surface but even so, the samples I've worked on had uniform color throughout the piece and could be sanded and re-polished to the original (I think) sheen, or at least to look quite good. The cloudiness that polishing takes off is UV degraded resin and I tend to think the brown color may be too. Bakelite is not at all resistant to UV.
Most, if not all, modern automotive finishes have a very high degree of UV resistance, so I agree that paint would be a good option.
Tom