Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Sounds like it would work. Thanks Jesse 64 Chrysler Newport wagon! Now thre's an example of huge American iron. Probably bigger than the 57 Buick I used to have. Did they have the Slant 6 back then?
I used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish I bought at CTC (Canadian Tire). It is a paste and worked quite well (a very mild abrasive). I've not reassembled everything yet, but the horn push is still looks good after a couple of months of sitting. Cheers, Mike
I cleaned mine up with 1000 grit sandpaper and had it sprayed black with the same 2-pack black paint that the paint shop was using for the rest of my black 1958 TR3A. This was in 2007 and it still looks super.
Karl: Its easy to clean Bakelite, but you can't replace the resin that's gone. That's why the surface becomes rough with age and looks brown. As others have suggested you can have it painted it with a good quality urethane. However if you use a clear coat be sure the painter selects one of the u/v resistant types.
It's possible that the makers of the Bakelite products used more resin on the surface or the process somehow "floated" the resin to the surface but even so, the samples I've worked on had uniform color throughout the piece and could be sanded and re-polished to the original (I think) sheen, or at least to look quite good. The cloudiness that polishing takes off is UV degraded resin and I tend to think the brown color may be too. Bakelite is not at all resistant to UV.
Most, if not all, modern automotive finishes have a very high degree of UV resistance, so I agree that paint would be a good option.
Tom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.