• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Backup hood release cable?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
How many TR owners here have actually rigged up a backup hood (spoken as an American - ha!) on their car?

How often have you had to use the back up cable?

G

I rigged the "backup" lever (that has been addressed somewhere on this forum this year) and use it soley. I never use the factory cable, just an ornament to me. I have broken too many. The lever opener is bullet proof.

Bill

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I also rigged a backup lever through the passenger side footwell. There's a guy on ebay that sells them (I just forget who right now) and I bought one. Took 20 minutes to install and it works perfectly. Don't try a spare cable..it's too hard to install. I think Moss has one for sale too.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
An FYI...this topic was recently discussed on another Triumph mailing list. Turns out that at least one of the backup release "kits" either had a slight design flaw or could be assembled in such a way that it could cause the very problem it's designed to prevent. Not good, of course. Apparently, that flaw has now been corrected.

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Nope - never have got round to installing one on my TR6. I do frequently have a good look at the cable at the bonnet catch to make sure it isn't starting to fray. I guess the handle could pull off the end of the cable? Hopefully then I'd be able to cut the cable and pull the inner with vice grips. Guess I like to live dangerously! Pete

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I rigged one myself fashioned after the one available at Macy's Garage. It works, but I haven't had to use it as an emergency yet. My original hood release cable disintigrated while I was trying to adjust it (you really gotta watch that (+) battery terminal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif) and I used a Schwinn bicycle brake cable as a quick fix and it works really well! Smooth action and strong. If only the cable end attachments were compatible. Here's the link for Macey's garage: Macey's garage accessories

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
I made one up from a gallon paint can handle. Ran it straight into passenger area through a little rubber grommet and bent a loop into the end for a finger to hook into. Works very well, cannot ever break, and I immediately threw away the factory arrangement.

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I used a spare bonnet cable I had. I ran it thru one of the holes in the firewall on the passagner side and it works like a car. Actually its a little easier to use then 1 one that came with the car. Less turns I guess. My backup cable only has one turn in it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I used Macy's setup and it works perfectly. Took about 20 minutes to install and includes grommet for firewall to prevent rattles. Bulletproof and works better than any cable.

G

I've never needed a backup since replacing the stock cable with a Holley manual choke cable. The universal Holley choke cables are the perfect length, have a steel outer jacket, and the cable itself is a solid core, heavy gauge wire, not a braided affair. This is especially helpful if you have to remove it and reattach it, it doesn't get frayed from loosening and retightening the catch. I'm fairly certain no human except for someone like Goldberg could break this thing. Also, once lubed up it operates very smoothly. Only drawback is the handle, it's a round plastic knob and not a T-handle, so it doesn't exactly look stock, but to me that was no biggie.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Bob, only the paint can handle and a little grommet. The handle goes through the trunnion on the latch, and then folds back 180 degrees. It won't ever slip out. Rest of the handle is just the right length to go into the upper passenger foot area and make a finger loop.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Smart move that you won't regret, unlike many others that can be made with our little treasures.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used Macy's setup and it works perfectly. In fact I never use the cable any more.