• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Atrus isn't that bright [rear hub]

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
So, I decided that while I have the rear axle out of the car, I would take the time to wirebrush/sand it as it was cruddy as all get out and prime/paint it.

Axle housing is sitting loose in my driveway. I decide that I finally have no choice but to take the hubs off so I can remove the brake backing plate and paint the housing (I've been dreading this). Side #1 comes off with no effort. Side #2 moves a little and hangs up. I fight with it for a while, then say screw it and start cutting the nut off with my dremel. About 6 cutoff wheels and 30 mins later, the nut is in half, and I manage to fab a simple way to pull the hub off using an old brake drum.

I pull out the Moss catalog (you probably all know where this is going) to get the P/N for a new nut and I see that there are TWO parts numbers. Why, do you ask, are there two? Because one is a left hand thread! Yeah, didn't even occur to me.

I feel a little better about coming up with my method of removing the hub. I took the brake drum (which will be replaced) and ground down the lip on the inside near two of the bolt holes. Put the drum onto the hub backwards and threaded on two lug nuts. Used an 11/16" open end wrench and put it between the threads of the housing and the drum. Tighten the two lugs, and viola, the hub popped right off.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Hopefully I'll never have to pull it apart again :wink:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
LOL, you just made my morning. Everyone falls into that trap.

bugimike

Yoda
Let me tell you about the time I had a flat on the LR tire on a Ford van in the middle of August heat and struggled for hours trying to get reverse threaded lug nuts off in the wrong direction to no avail!! Had to call a mobile mechanic to come to the rescue who had to put an impact wrench on those lugs I had tightened SO hard the wrong way!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Add me to the list

for about a week or so, my cars been smelling real rich.. Even the garage. Couldnt put up wit it anymore so I finally started playing with the carb, still no go. Took a peak under the car.... oops! I drilled a hole in the fu4el line when I put the fire extinguisher in.... OOOHH the little things! :crazyeyes:

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for making me feel better guys :wink: Happens to the best of us!