• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Acme Speed Shop just got a bit more speedy

I had a couple of buddys helping part time for some time now, and ask one awhile back to consider me and Acme for full time, if his current job situaction was to change. well a couple of weeks ago, my buddy Byron Hall too me up on my offer to be at Acme Speed Shop full time. I think he's already rebuilt 5 sets of SU carbs since he came onboard, among other jobs. This week we started on what I refer to as the 1275 in a bucket, a customer 1275 rebuilt, that had been disassembled a few years ago, and put into buckets, we starting degreasing and seeing what we have, should be fun. Long story short, the backlogs are getting much, much shorter, now no more than a couple of months wait on engine rebuild, and small jobs like SU carb rebuilding, cylinder head, connecting rods, crankshaft rebuilding, and such no more than a couple of weeks. So send us your tired and weary MG stuff and we'll breath new life into to. :smile:

V

vagt6

Re: Acme Speed Shop just go a bit more speedy

Seems you've found a recession-proof niche, Hap.

Great news in this otherwise gloomy economy. It's always good to see the small businessman succeed, and for his hard work to pay off.

Congratulations to you. :yesnod:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Good news, indeed. :thumbsup:

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee

Keep up the good work, Hap. You've got a great reputation for workmanship. Getting jobs in and out faster can only be a plus. Jim

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Way to go Hap. May you prosper.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

Good deal Hap, put one of them motors in a little car and lets go riding :wink: I been trying to send anybody needing serious engine work and don't want to do any themselves, your way. Especially if they are looking for more than stock horsepower and not wanting to go with a blower or turbo, etc.

OP
Hap Waldrop

Thanks guys, my new main job now is to make sure Byron gets paid, it been awhile since I had to worry about another mouth getting fed, it's a little scary, but I think we can get enough work for the two of us.

Kim, in what little spare time I do have, the GT is on a more "concentrated" effort to get done, we took the old engine last week, and I'm working on the new engine, it is well under way, of course now the street GT is going to my buddy who traded me the MGB race car for it, but you know a responsible builder, should for sure throughly test drive the GT to make sure all the bugs are worked out :smile: So I can see a good cool fall run in our near future :smile:

After those final runs in the GT street car, I'll just have to deal with driving this old thing for now :smile:

Attachments

• 26100.jpg
    26100.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 315

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

Oh, that is sweet Hap. Did he trade you even for it? After a few rounds of Road America, I could get real used to doing something like that on a regular basis :wink: Hey, there was a guy up there with a cross flow head and I started talking to him about intakes and he was the brother of Pierce of Pierce manifolds. Talked quite a while with him and wanted to talk more. I was amazed how low his head was. That thing looked like it was less than 1.5 inches thick.

toysrrus

Yoda

Howdy Hap,

Best wishes in your "New/Old" ventures. I`m quite certain you`ll figure out an easy way to pay Byron with the work load that you have.

Russ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Gota love that.

OP
Hap Waldrop

Yeah in the last few years, there's a few Acme Speed Shop popped up, one make nothing but t shirts and hats with 60's hot rod artwork, I even got one, pretty cool. I often get asked where the name came from, it's acutally pretty simple, Acme was started in 2001, so we were well into the .com era, and having a company name that I could get the domain name for in just .com was important over having some domain name that was already taken, two names with avaialable domain names were in the final running, Acme Speed Shop, based on my childhood love for the Roadrunner cartoons, and always hoping the coyote would finally get that pesky roadrunner, and then the other finalist was "Hap's House of Horsepower", but I didn't have large enough "attachments" to go for the later, since I building "taterbug" engines :smile:, so Acme won out for the shop's name.

Oh by the way, that "taterbug" reference has some cool history too, I grew up around the late Tom Blackwell, he was the long time onwer of Greenville Pickens Speedway, Nascar's second oldest track, he used to let us use the 1/2 mile oval for breaking race engines in on our SCCA MG race cars, and he always referred to our cars as "taterbugs" :smile:. Most of you may have never heard of Tom, but there is no doubt in my mind at some time he will inducted into the Nascar's Hall of Fame, he is one of the founding fathers of Nascar, and was real decent man, great for racing, and always good to me.