• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A About to buy my first British car - TR3A

GTScott

Freshman Member
I am sure this has been discussed here and there but I wanted to see if anyone had any new info.

First of all, I am a short term lurker here and am just about to bite and buy my first British car - a 1960 TR3A. I have never owned or worked on a British vehicle. My background is in late model Italian cars.

The car that I am looking at has recently had all of the suspension replaced along with the interior. The engine has also been completely gone through and rebuilt.

The only issues I have with it thus far are a bad spot in the paint under the bonnet due to a brake fluid leak some time back, 1 or 2 syncros that need to be replaced in the trans, a differential leak (1 drop every month maybe) and a small transmission leak. Do these items seem excessive?

Aside from that, I plan to pull up the carpet and check the lower body for rust. If that checks out, I think she will be mine. Anything else I should look for?

Any help is appreciated.

-Scott

G

Hey Scott,
If the car is showing about 1 drop of oil leaking then something is terribly wrong! NO Triumph only leaks 1 drop of oil. Waaaaay more than that. Make sure that the underside isn't too rusted because of the lack of leaking-oil-underbody-protection that is normal for these cars.

I envy you that you have found a solid TR3. You will attract a whole new group of friends and admirers. The Little British Car is on the rebound and will be hot stuff for the forseeable future. If you maintain and improve you new treasure, she will reward you immeasureably, and you will always sell her at a healthy profit in the future, assuming you even think about such a thing.

Have fun.

Bill

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Scott,

I got hooked early in the spring of 1965 when I got the first look at the 64 TR4 I bought. When I saw it I just had to have it. It was simply the prettiest thing I ever saw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then and now the LBC's I have owned are a labor of love.

I think it is quite simple, how do you feel about the car?

If you just have to have it, welcome to the club! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It sounds like you have found a car in reasonable shape for 46 years old. Realize it will have things that need attention, they all do. That is why we all try to help each other through these trials and tribulations.

If you do not feel that way, maybe it is not for you.

Some food for thought, if you turn your back and walk away from it how will you feel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
You've got a good start! My little TR3 has been a labor of love and frustration. All along the way, however, I've felt privileged to have one! (still leaks a lot more than yours!)
There's not much better feeling than cruisin' the boulevards or back roads in these old classic LBC's.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Anything else I should look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not knowing how much TR3-specific knowledge you've accumulated, I'll mention an area where some buyers get a nasty surprise. There are more than a few TR3s that have had the gaps between the wings & body filled by bondo or weld. Artfully done the car looks fine (albeit non-original) and the buyer may be unaware of what has been done... until he has to replace the radiator, the timing chain cover or whatever. Then it is bad news.

Here is a recent eBay example of what I mean:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...36547%26fvi%3D1

Hopefully the buyer knew what he was buying. If you're not sure find a local TR3 driver to give it a look or use pics here to get opinions. Good Luck!

D

DougF

If the synchro that is out is in first gear, your in luck, there aren't any. Check the rocker panels to make sure there are body lines between the rockers and both fenders. These often get mudded over by poor bodymen.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Scott,

And welcome.

Another point in addition to the above, TR2/3 did not have full synchro gearboxes. You mention concern about the synchros. If it's an original TR3 g'box, it won't have 1st gear synched.

Some folks "upgrade" to a TR4 g'box, which was the first TR to have synchro on all four forward gears. But, a lot don't bother since it's not a big deal, there's seldom need to drop into first once under way because the engine is torquey enough to pull away in 2nd gear. (My TR4's 1st gear synchro went out and I drove it for years without.)

If you notice problems across all the gears, it could well be low oil, or wrong kind of oil (should be 90w *GL4* gear oil or 20W50 racing motor oil in non-OD g'boxes, 30W or 40W racing motor oil in OD g'boxes.)

Or... it could be the clutch needs adjustment. Easy to do on cars up to TR4A, but Triumph in all their wisdom went to a non-adjustable link after that!

Worst case scenario, either the synchros actually need replacement or you aren't getting full clutch disengagement because the dreaded taper pin on the clutch release fork is broken and allowing a wink of play. Both these problems are a bit of a hassle, but not insurmountable or even all that difficult to deal with.

Congratulations on finding a nice TR3A, let us know how you like it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...a differential leak (1 drop every month maybe)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a drop every month??? I'd check it and make sure there's any oil at all in there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Love hearing about new '3s to the fold! What's the Comission number? (It may not be a '60!) Paint loss from leaks from the master cylinders is very common, especially for cars that have sat a while. Common, too, are leaks from gearbox and diff, but WAY more than a drop a month!
I'd make sure the gauges work, especially the water temp, and that it not over heat. TR motors are especially stout, and nearly all parts are available from at least 3 big sources: Moss, the Roadster Factory, and Vicoria British, among others. Your greatest resource is this list! Smart answers to your questions, quickly, and from experience.
Enjoy your '3, if you get it, and post some pix!

D

Deleted member 3577

Don't fix the 2nd gear syncro...

Learn how to double declutch.

That ought ta keep ya entertained fur-a bit.

(Then fix it & you will be a shifting God)

OP
G

GTScott

Freshman Member
Wow - I can't thank you all enough for your help and kind words of encouragement. Let me see if I can't hit on some of the high points.

How do I feel about it - That is a good question and something that I think explains a lot. I hear all about the problems with British cars and the hazards of Lucas electronics and so on but none of this blinds me from the true beauty of the vehicle. I think that the Triumps, Healey BJ8s, and MGAs are some of the best looking cars. The deal on this TR3A is just too good to turn down. In an effort to keep the values high I will not be posting the price!

Gearbox...I know of the lack of a 1st synchro. It is 2-3 that seems to be out. Is the gearbox large enough to get into to replace the synchro or is that the big problem?

Body - Now that I see the ebay listing I see what you mean on this. The one I am looking at actually has new trim molding (or whatever it is called...I call it British Car Caulk myself) in the box so I can see all of the body lines are as they should be.

As for the leaks, that is what some friends told me...if it's only a drop it must be near empty. So the small transmission leak is not something to worry about either? With proper care is it just nearly impossible to get these to be zero leak cars? I am ok if that is the case.

It seems like you guys have a great family here. I hope I can zero in on some Atlanta folks as I know there is some degree of a club here. Again, thanks for all of the help. Now, if someone can come tell my wife what a good idea buying this car is everything will be good in the world.

Side note...if anyone runs into a problem with an Italian car (mainly Lamborghini and Ferrari, later model) feel free to bounce them off me. I have been dealing with them for 15 years.

-GT

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a recent eBay example of what I mean:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...36547%26fvi%3D1

[/ QUOTE ]Ha! I remember seeing that ad and noting part of the descriptive text: "Car has had armature restoration." Really? What about the REST of the generator or starter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, Scott, sounds as if you might have a pretty decent car there. By all means, do try to get in touch with someone in Georgia Triumphs...some really good folks there who likely will be only too happy to help you make the decision!

G

[ QUOTE ]

Side note...if anyone runs into a problem with an Italian car (mainly Lamborghini and Ferrari, later model) feel free to bounce them off me.

-GT

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, er, I suppose the only problem that we over here would have with such cars is that they might run over us.....I would hope.

Bill

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Now, Now, don't go bashing eBayers. I have bought and sold Triumph parts on eBay for about 4 years and had very good results. OK, OK, I know there are some skaliwags on eBay but they are way in the minority. At least when it comes to TR parts. My thoughts anyhow.
Cheers, Tinkerman

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
GT, welcome! I just purchased (couple months ago) a 60 TR3 that was built in January of that year; had my eye on it for 8 years. It was last titled in North Carolina, a number of years ago, as a 62...probably the year it was first sold... so, you will want to go by the comission number when ordering parts, etc.

There's a little info about my car on my website (see signature for URL). Would love to campare notes; drop me an email.

I'm in Athens, Ga, not that far from Atlanta; hope to meet you sometime.

Ray

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi GT,

It's not impossible to get TRs to not leak oil, it's just a tall order, unlikely and not practical if you want to keep the car original.

There are a number of old-style seals in the car that simply leak. Some are leather, and then there is the "scroll" oil retainer on the rear main of the cranckshaft... no seal at all.

Plus TR4 and earlier have open circuit crankcase breathing - tyou should see a large breather tube pointing downward on the LH/rear side of the engine - that inevitibly spews a fine mist of oil under the center of the car, thus the term "British Undercoating". Probably helps keep those narrow lanes all over England in better repair, too, with a regular "seal coat" of oil.

About the best you can do is replace old leather seals here and there with modern where and when you can, and maybe update the rear main seal if the engine is rebuilt (kits are available), use a good sealer like Hylomar on various covers and joints, but still put one of those oil catching trays on the garage floor!

I'm not sure if I understand your question about the gearbox synchros. I'd suggest just doing an oil change first, see if that resolves the problem on 2nd & 3rd. If not, a rebuild might be in order. Some folks do prefer to "upgrade" to a full synchro TR4 box. Others put a 5-speed Toyota gearbox in, or more original overdrive conversions. But that's up to you. The internals are not fully interchangeable between various TR g'boxes and there's no way to install a synchro on 1st gear in a TR3 box, if that's what you are asking. In fact, the TR3 box is about half an inch shorter than the TR4 box.

I think you'll find the TR3A a piece of cake to work on, after the Italian cars (I've owned/worked on Fiats and Alfas)!

Now for something really unusual, how about an Italia? That's a TR3 chassis and drivetrain with coachwork designed and installed in Italy. Without actually looking it up, ISTR roughly 500 were made around 1960-62. Many folks think it was one of the prettiest Triumphs ever built.

Enjoy the car! I'm waiting for a similar deal... one that's too good to refuse... on TR3A and GT6 primarily.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
check the wires.look for any sign of burning.check all the gauges and switches. consider putting a modern gear reduction starter and alternator conversion. remember that original cars have positive ground. many change to negative ground with an alternator conversion. i think the original generator was 22 amp or something close to that.
rob