• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ABFM------- BreakDown!

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So, after successfully driving 4500 miles the next trip for "the red thing" is the annual pilgramage to Bellevue (a suburb of Seattle) All British Field Meet. I try to go early to avoid the notoriously bad I-5 traffic entering Seattle, so i arrived about 11:30 and went to one of my favorite burger places in Seattle.. .... All is well...... Driving to my buddy's place on Westlake Blvd, the car starts missing and sputters to a STOP. Knowing this is NOT the road to be disabled ON, i rolled up onto the sidewalk. I don't carry a cell phone, but i was able to borrow one from some guy getting into a car at a business across the roadway and get thru to AAA. (never travel without it!) While waiting i check some stuff..hmmmmm no thuda-thuda-thuda from the fuel pump... .. hmmm undo the fitting at the gas filter... NO GAS.... .. Ok... easy fix, but i don't carry a jack either.... (AAA, don't leave home without it)..after about an hour the tow truck comes and takes me to a repair station .. this if friday at 1:30.. will i be able to talk them into installing a fuel pump TODAY so i don't miss the show on saturday?...... Yes, they're gonna work on it.. while the mechanic checks the wiring the shop forman calls napa and gets a new fuel pump on the way.. (i've told him ANY fuel pump will do, as i have a FACET one on there now and a fuel pressure regulator.. if he can't get the 2-4 lb pressure one the 4-7 lb one will work just dandy.... .. just about the time (another hour) the fuel pump arrives from napa, the mechanic (i'm not allowed in the shop) finds a bad wiring connection under the car... the butt splice has come apart!... ..Yippeeee..... i'm only off the road for hours total, i still get to my friends place on time and make it to the ABFM on Saturday and a faultless drive home today, Sunday..... .. ..

Maybe i should crawl under and look at all the splices in the wiring to the pump..?...... .. Naw... everthing is working fine ......... for now....!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gesh, clean all the connections and add a bit of diletric greese to them they will then be good for another 30 years.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Aw,,..he said there were about 5 butt splices in the line.. i gotta get it down to two. one in the trunk and one at the pump........................................
......................................................................................

eventually.....

RickB

Yoda
Wow Bill - well there you go!

So... share - what's your favorite burger place in Seattle?

Mine's Dick's on Queen Anne (Uptown).
The only Dick's that has indoor seating.
The burgers have been the same there for about 30 years.
I like getting a Deluxe, Fries & Chocolate Shake.
It may sound simple, but it's GOOD!

What's yours?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Woops, think new wire is in order. Too many splices.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good as Dick's is, (in college we used to go in just to ask for the BIG DICK's to see them react.. .. .. as if we were the first to think of THAT...ahhh youth....).. my favorite is

Kid Valley Burger.... I use the one at the south end of Greenlake... not the one in the U Village. i've heard there's a nice on at the base of queen anne hill?... or somewhere near the seattle center anyway...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you have to splice wires, it's a good idea to solder the joints and cover with heat-shrink tubing. Then it's OK. After all, these li'l puppies have enough reliability problems without tempting fate...!

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Heat shrinking them is a GREAT idea.. i'll get a torch under there to heat up those splices near the gas tank.. .. yeah, that's gotta be the way to go!

Country flag
Light brushing with a soldering iron will shrink tubing or a heat gun.

RickB

Yoda
There was a Kidd Valley just a block from Dicks on lower QA hill.
I definitely liked the variety, but after 30 years Dicks is the one I come home to. :wink:

I love a lot of the Red Robin burgers and all that, but when one of my kids have a band thing at the center house or something like that I go to Dick's and I'm sure to get a carry out bag for my wife!!