• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 lug disks

subnet_nd

Freshman Member
Country flag
So I searched for this answer, but I didn't find anything, tho I am sure someone has asked before...

Has anyone (with WAAAAY more knowledge than I) ever looked into replacing the front disks and rear drums with 5 lug versions? It would make for a much wider choice in wheels.

Like I said, I haven't any experience with this, haven't even pulled my rotors off yet, but I thought it would be a good question... And someone might really save me some time! :smile:

Thanks!

Alex

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That would be far, far harder and much more expensive than just buying wider rims.

Also, if you really wanted to do it, a conversion to 4 X 100 would made much more sense (but I would not bother doing that either).

And keep in mind that there is very limited room in a Spridget for wider rims anyway. Both the inner and outer clearance on typical Spridget is very limited.
I'm racing on stock rims.
For a street car with the modified or RWA (radiused) rear fenders, you could get away with a max of about 6" X 13" (and that's pushing it).
You can pretty much forget about 14"....it would be cheaper and better to just buy an MGB.
Anything beyond 6" X 13" on a Spridget starts to require major surgery plus roller bearing conversion in the front and double-bearing hubs in the rear (unless you drive like my Mom :laugh: )

A nice set of 5" X 13" Minilites, or Superlites look great on these cars and will fit nicely with no issues.

Country flag
I have 6" x 14" rims on my Bugeye with 185-60 (IIRC) tires. I can not see how you could get much more rim/tire under a stock car. I have driven the car on the road in a spirited fashion, but I have not aggressively driven it at an autocross or such.

Several people on this BBS have made wheel adapters to allow them to run 4x100mm bolt patterns from FWD cars. I can not comment on this solution other than to mention that it has been done.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Trevor: the poster above has a square-rear-fender Mk III Sprite with half-elliptics, so much less room (on either side) than the radiused rear fenders of a Frog.

But I'm curious?
What 6" X 14" wheels did you use?
Are they 4 X 4 pattern?

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t said:
...the poster above has a square-rear-fender Mk III Sprite with half-elliptics...

I'll be running 185/70R13s on Superlite 5.5 X 13 wheels on my '62 Sprite (square arch). There is a slight clearance problem with the stock configuration of the rear arches and I preferred to not radius them; keeping the square look.

I just finished the mods to the drivers side rear fender/arch which included removing the flange on the arch doubler and "folding" up to vertical the flange on the outer fender. I then spent some time with the hammer and dolly adding to the flare without making it overly noticeable. NOTE - the inner fender also required widening out a bit. I gained approximately 3/4" all around.

For a detailed series of photos and step-by-step explanation look here:

https://www.raysmg.com/rays_mg_midget_62_sprite_bodywork7.htm

Hope this helps,

Ray

P1010016.jpg

Country flag
Nial, they are Superlites. 4x4"

To the original poster(Alex) : Check out the Classic Motorsports Modern Midget Project car. Like Ray, they had to make some modifications.

OP
subnet_nd

subnet_nd

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here's what I'm thinkin:

If I could change to 5 lug rims, I could get up to something like a 205/55-17 in pretty much the same space. Tire diameter would be 25.88", tire width would be 8". That's about the same as the G78-13 that is on there now. Just slightly wider and much lower profile. And it would give a more modern, sporty look to the car. And have lots and lots of choices for wheel styles. It's getting almost impossible to find 13" tires anymore, at least from Goodyear or Firestone, or any of their subsidiaries (which is all I have to choose from where I live!)

Again, I haven't tried this or looked into it much, just curious if anyone here has any info on what's needed. Just quickly browsing, found that one of the BritishV8 guys has done it (https://www.britishv8.org/Other/MarkWarner.htm).

Thanks!

Alex

Country flag
He has totally modified his suspension. Keep in mind that the tires of this car ARE a part of the suspension. You need to be careful about sacrificing drive ability for looks. IMO, Anything wider than 6 inches will require body and suspension modifications.

OP
subnet_nd

subnet_nd

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the help... I think I'm gonna start out with just the factory (steel) rims painted body color, with the "baby moon" chrome caps on it... Maybe a later update to other rims/tires after learning more.

Thanks for all the help guys!

5.5" wide is a s wide as you want to go with any wheel on a Spridget with stock fenders, RWA or square arch. We've done all kinds of stuff at Superlite on Spridgets with fender mods, 14" and 15", we do custom CNC drilling on ny of our wheels ans stock most offset in blanks for drilling to almost any bolt circle, but with stock fenders stick with the 5.5" wheel.