• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

13" Steering Wheel for a Midget?

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Where's the best place to get a cheap 13" steering wheel for my 75 Midget? I was thinking black or metal spokes and leather wheel... very subtle, nothing fancy. I like the Moto-Litas from Moss, but too big and too rich for me....
Thanks,
Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You can buy very cheap steering wheels from JC Whitney. The problem is, the lack of adapters to fit the Midget spline. I solved this by buying an old, cracked Midget steering wheel at a junkyard and cutting the hub out of it: drilled and tapped the hub to fit my aftermarket wheel (a 10" wheel in my case).

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the tip. Are the hub adapters sold by moss and the like universal? Is there a standard bolt pattern for aftermarket wheels so this hub adapter could be used with JCW steering wheels?

Also, how do you like the 10" wheel? I've been searching around and most people seem to like the 13" wheels as a reasonable compromise, but I wouldn't mind a little more room....

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Keep an eye on eBay. Quite a few listed.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Are the hub adapters sold by moss and the like universal? Is there a standard bolt pattern for aftermarket wheels so this hub adapter could be used with JCW steering wheels?....

The bolt pattern on aftermarket wheels seems to be pretty standard (all the JCW wheels have the same 3 bolt pattern, but I'm not sure what it is).
I'm not sure about any "universal" hub adapters, since I have never used them. In any event, you'd need to be careful....even older and newer Spridgets have different steering wheel splines.
The 10" wheel is OK for me (I'm 6' and 215 lbs)...gets somewhat tiring after 2 hours of racing, but no big deal when I drive the car on the street with street tires.
Also, I cut off the steering wheel lock and shortened the steering column to give more arm room (my key switch is mounted on the dash).

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Check with the Little British Car Co. They sell parts (hubs included) at better prices than Moss or Victoria British. Deals on some steering wheels too. Check out their Web site: www.LBCarCo.com Mostly it is an internet business. They don't offer a hard catalog.

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Rob, I have a Grant steering wheel(yellow) with the hub still attached. It was out of my '77 Midget. Don't know if this helps you at all.
Rick Hansen

S

scottsgretch

AcmeTruckParts carries a number of steering wheels both mahogany & leather, etc. I think the manufacturer is Grant. The prices are right around $50-60 or so which I think is real good. Adaptors may be your problem though, unless you fabricate your own.
I purchased a mahogany wheel (13") from Victoria British about a year ago when it was on sale for about $129 but I think I probably could have done better elsewhere. Acme website is acmetruckparts.com.
Happy hunting,
Scott Harris