• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confused...

daddytiger64

After a local car cruise last night I stopped at an ice cream stand and a gentleman came up to me and asked me how my Tiger handled in the water. I said “handle in the water?” and then he asked “isn’t this one of those amphibious vehicles?” So I laughed and said it’s not an Amphicar but with the V8 it can walk on water…

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
For the uninitiated who have only seen a glipse of an Amphicar in a photograph at some time, I suppose I could understand the confusion. Be that as it may, the Amphicar is an ugly little thing, and the Tiger? Drop-dead gorgeous!!

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Metropolitan's also get confused with amphicars. Oh well, at least folks are interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

C A Keller

Freshman Member
At least he didn't say "Nice MG!" or "I like your Austin Healey." That's annoying. My Alpine has also been mistaken for a Triumph,Jaguar, and Opel. I used to have to grit my teeth when I was out in my '69 AMX and people would yell "Hey, cool Javelin!" God I miss that car. Now sometimes my Miata is a Z3 or S3000. I just can't win.

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

At least with AMXs and Javelins they came from the same manufacturer so I could see how people could confuse the two cars although the AMX to me is a lot more lean and mean.

I am not an AMC historian but a high school friend's dad work for AMC for years and my understanding is the true AMX 2-seater went out of production after the 1970 model year, but from 1971 to 1974 American Motors used the "AMX" name on the top-of-the-line Javelins. And to confuse things more the AMX was actually derived from the Javelin (the wheelbase was shortened by a foot) and almost was called the Javelin II

When looking for a Tiger an AMX was one of the few other cars I was considering at the time...I would love to have one...they are really neat cars.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
My Imp really confuses them. I've had people think it's a Morris, Renault, Fiat, BMW, NSU, Glas Goggomobil, Lightburn Zeta (horrible Australian car), Ford and probably lots of other things I've forgotten!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Lots of people mistake my Scimitar for an AMC Pacer when I show them pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
....he asked “isn’t this one of those amphibious vehicles?”.....

Somehow, this doesn't look like the back of a Tiger to me! (seen at Louden NH Vintage Event in '03).

amphib_louden_03.jpg

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Somehow, this doesn't look like the back of a Tiger to me!

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually we have 2 of them in our Classic and Antique car club here

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
My 66 BMW 1800 four door has been mistaken for the Amphibicar several times becaus the nose sorta comes to a point like the prow of a ship - Go figure.