• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where to mount fender mirrors on BT7

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
Quick question, I am getting ready to mount fender mirrors
on my BT7 and wanted to make sure to mount them correctly.
I have looked at various pictures taken back in "the day"
but have seen a couple of different spots. Also, they all
appear to be mounted on the fender as opposed to the shroud,
is that correct ?
Thanks,
Mike

terp83

Hi Mike:

When I purchased my BJ8, it had round mirrors installed on the front fenders at the top of the wheel well arch. When I obtained my BT7, it had a rectangular mirror mounted at the rear of the front left fender, with no mirror on the right fender. On other Big Healeys, I have seen mirrors mounted elsewhere on the fender, but don't ever recall seeing a mirror mounted on the aluminum shroud. On that same BT7, I removed the fender mirror and now have a small rectangular motorcycle mirror(Harley-Davidson)mounted in the left door sidescreen socket. This works well for me as I hardly ever have the sidescreens on and the top up.

Jerry

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is someting to consider. I mounted a round Lucas mirror on the left front fender because it was already drilled and I had done enough body work and didn't feel like welding it up. It is just situated as far as I can reach while driving (I'm 5'8"). I thought this to be convenient as I sat in the garage when I was almost done with the retoration. The first time out on the road I reached out to adjust it a bit, and in an instant my hat was gone. It was a ball cap with a metal buckle to adjust it in back. When I stopped to retreive it it was broken. Bald guys need hats around here so I went home.
This has happened to me twice more in the last year (senior moments). I now carry several spare hats in the boot. If that mirror were 3 inches closer, my hat brim would stay behind the windscreen. By the way, I refuse to wear my hat backwards.

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
When I bought my BT7 new in 1960 it had the mirrors installed on the top of the wheel well arch. I presume they were installed by the dealer. They seem to work well enough in that location and I intend to put them back there when (and if) I finish my restoration.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes on the fenders. Go for the convex type you have a better view of the world around you.

Mark

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Another thing to consider is which type of mirror.

The flat Lucas style mirrors may need the occasional adjustment, if using a car cover, or bumped. The bullet style mirrors don't need to be re-adjusted when bumped.

I've heard that the "correct" position of the mirror was to line it up directly above the knock off, on the wing. Again, this is what I've heard.

Other places I've seen: over the flash, closer to the door and lastly on the door itself. Mirrors were not placed on the shroud.

Healey's did not come from the factory with outside mirrors. Only a dash mirror. (Which was too short, hindering rear vision when the top is down). Wing or door mirrors were dealer or owner placed.

Here's some photos showing places owners have installed them. These may help you decide where you want yours to go.

Best of luck.
Roger

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Here's my take on this: My mirrors are mounted directly above the front wheel spinners. That's where 90% of them were mounted, or so I thought. But to be honest, if I were to do it again I would not place them on the fenders at all. I would place a single mirror on the driver's door as in the last pic posted by Roger. Not only is it difficult to keep the fender mirrors properly adjusted, I think they screw up the beautiful lines of the car.

If it didn't mean body work and a complete re-paint of both fenders I would dump them in a heartbeat.In fact I did take them off and used small rubber plugs painted Healey Blue to cover the holes. But that just didn't sit right with me so I put them back. Since I made the decision to do it this way 9 years ago, I've learned to live with what I consider a mistake. My advice is to think long and hard before you drill those holes.

Randy '66 BJ8

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Mine are centered directly above the wheel arches. Driver's side is somewhat functional, but you need a good friend or an understanding wife to adjust it. The passenger side mirror does a really good job at hiding behind the rear view mirror when you're driving. I'm kinda short (5'10") so I guess taller drivers don't have that problem. Doesn't matter, though. I can usually hear whatever is in my "blind-spot."

dsc01967pr8.jpg

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Center of the wheel well, over with the spinner for sure.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Many thanks to all who weighed in on this subject. The pictures
really helped too and think I'm going to take Randy's advice and
mount the proper type on the door as in the last picture posted
by Roger. I have to agree I prefer the look without the mirror
hanging out there on the front fender.
Thanks,
Mike

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Mike,

Another option is to mount a mirror on your vent window or windows.
Here's a photo of the mirror and how it's mounted on my vent window.

Being it's not a permanent mount, as in drilling a hole in your wing or door, you can try the mirror on the vent and see it you like having a mirror in that location on the door.

I don't use any mirrors now. I have learned to use the dash mirror. I turn my head to the left and right to see if anyone is there before making a lane change. Surprisingly enough, one gets use to not having outside mirrors.

Best of luck,
Roger

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
He has a BT7 so no window vents.

Cheers

Mark

Country flag
Interesting. I can remember getting a ticket going over the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge for not having an exterior mirror. CHP stopped me because I was doing 10-over (following <span style="font-style: italic">every</span> car in front of me) but only gave me the "fix it" ticket figuring that if I would've seen him, I would've slowed down.

Since I'm now responding to this thread, I give my vote for the fender mounted mirrors. Mine are centered in the wheelwell (over what would be the spinners, if I had them). I previously had flat mirrors, which were at least adequate, but I recently switched both to convex mirrors and WOW, now I can see everything!

My mirrors are locked in adjustment and the base is spring-loaded, so no loss of adjustment if they're bumped. I frequently use a car cover (when doing dirty or paintwork on a customer car in the same garage) and have not had to readjust the mirrors since they were installed. They were sourced from a supplier in GB (Euro Spares?), I can look them up if anyone is interested...

Edit; links to mirror components: https://www.europaspares.com/MIRRORS/EXTERIOR_MIRRORS/CLASSIC_MIRROR_STEMS___M16009__4216.html and https://www.europaspares.com/MIRRORS/EXT...BLONG_4212.html

More mirrors than you could ever hope for: https://www.europaspares.com/MIRRORS/EXTERIOR_MIRRORS/

Frankly, I think the fender mirrors look absolutely correct on my car.

IMG_5450.sized.jpg

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
No vent windows. Oh your right. My bad. Sorry Mike.
OK, so you guys WITH vent windows...see photos above.
Smarter than the average bear, aay boo-boo

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
As has been noted, outside mirrors were either dealer- or owner-installed, so there is not a "correct" place to mount them, if by "correct" you mean "factory" or "original."

I prefer to go without wing mirrors. I hate to drill holes in nice straight wings, and besides, I think that they interfere with the nice clean lines of the car.

However, some states (maybe most?) require an outside mirror or a second mirror, so you may be forced to do some drilling, somewhere. That said, I've never been stopped or questioned about my lack of an outside mirror.

What I find convenient is a couple of those suction-cup mirrors that you can buy for a few bucks in most auto parts stores. For longer trips I place them on the inside of the windscreen in strategic locations, and since they are convex I get a great view of everything behind me and in both blind spots.

bt7tricarb

The bodyshop who did my restoration forgot to fill in the holes from the mirrors and antenna (long story). I went with Bullet mirrors mounted where the holes were after all the blasting.

Attachments

• 12877.jpg
    12877.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 392

bt7tricarb

Continued from lat post...

I wanted the holes in the fenders filled in because I had intended on using this style mirror. I still own both and am keeping them in case somewhere down the road (years from now) when I get the car repainted, I hope to use them.

They mount to the screw in the windshield pillar, so there are no holes AND you can reach them for adjustment. I got them from either Denis Welch or Cape International.

Attachments

• 12878.jpg
    12878.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 408

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Duane_Rhynard said:
My BN-6 service parts list (AKD855 Third Edition) shows the the wing mirror as an optional extra and mounted over the wheel well.

Interesting. I am certain that I must have seen that in the past (I have copies of pretty much all factory Workshop Manuals, Service Manuals, and Parts Lists), but certainly did not remember it.

It appears that it may apply only to RHD cars, and shows just one mirror, on the driver's (right hand, in this case) side, far out on the wing. In fact, that appears to be further forward than I think I've ever seen a mirror actually mounted.

Thanks for sharing that.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Editor_Reid said:
It appears that it may apply only to RHD cars, and shows just one mirror, on the driver's (right hand, in this case) side, far out on the wing.
Hi Reid,
If you look at the column "Qty. per vehicle" for the mirrors, it shows 2. It doesn't list a separate part number for each side though, so these particular mirrors aren't mirrored, so to speak...