• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Konig Rewind wheels - TR6

MrPandy

Folks,

Has anyone put a set of Konig Rewind wheels on their TR6? Here's a set on eBay for $525 that looks pretty nice and says they'll fit a TR6.

Konigs on eBay

They're 15x7 with a 4x4.5 bolt pattern, zero offset and 4" backspacing. Does that sound like they'll fit a stock suspension? What size tires would be recommended for these? I prefer a look as close to stock as possible.

My TR came with wires, and I like them but don't really want to deal with them down the line. Would I have to swap out the studs for longer ones if I switched to non-wires?

Thanks for your help on this and everything else that I have learned here.

G

This is the same guy that is punting them on 6-pack
You will need to change your studs.

G

I am pretty sure that my Panasports are 15X6" wheels. I would check around if you are thinking of using 15X7" wheels on the TR6. You would be tempted to go with a much wider tire because of the wheel width, then you may be asking for trouble because of rubbing. Not sure about that, but ask around. I have 205/70 tires with zero problems. Wider could be an issue.

Bill

OP
MrPandy

MrPandy

Thanks, Alan. I took a quick look and found some info. I didn't see anyone who is actually using the Konigs, but I'll dig a little deeper tonight.

Bill, I would really like to use the narrowest tire that I can. Any idea what the minimum would be for 15x7 wheels, and for any reason would the wheel itself prove to be a problem at 7"?

Thanks

G

I don't think the wheel would be a problem, unless you have the tube shock rear conversion, then it might rub the shock. I just think that you might be tempted to go with a 60 or even a 50 series tire. Then you would definitely be rubbing on hard corners. Not good.

Bill

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
I loked at the Konigs but I wasn't sure about the 7" deal. I heard of other guys haveing probls with rubbing so I decided to shy away. What I did do was buy a new set of Superlights from Pack Racing Racing Products. 15x6 4x114.3mm and +3mm offset. Panasports are +6 not rally anything to worry about. Plus the price was right $162.81 per wheel includes Lugs, Center caps and Metal valve Stems. Check them out at www.packracingproducts.com

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
See skikir thread of 06/02/05 here in BCF it answers most of your questions.

I am in the process of mounting the Konigs (15x7). It is necessary to dress the upper A-arms and the upper ball joint hardware to gain about 3/8" clearance to the wheel rim.

Have not looked at the rears but according to the previously mentioned thread that area has no clearance issues.

BTW I am awaiting arrival of a new set of Goodyear 205/70/15 tires to mount.

One thing more regarding this endeavor; make sure you turn the front wheels lock to lock under load to detect interference between the upper A-Arm and the road wheel. With the wheels in the straight ahead position the clearances are generally sufficient.

It is when turning that the fit hits the shan if you have not done your homework.

Best, Tosh

G

Check reversing too. I have that problem with 16s at full lock, even after turning the bolts round. I need to trim.

Nothing worse than giving an expensive shave to your new rims...

OP
MrPandy

MrPandy

Here's where I show my obvious lack of knowledge in this area - how do you replace the studs? Do they screw out/in or are they pressed in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll probably end up looking at the 15x6 Superlights after I get through replacing all of the parts I already have sitting in my garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif (Yeah - in 2008 maybe) and I'd hate to get hung up on something as small as the studs.

G

I mean the bolts on the upper a-arm to ball joint mount. If you turn them round you get a little more clearance.

OP
MrPandy

MrPandy

Alan - I was asking this time about the wheel studs. I'm assuming that my car has the shorter ones for knockoff wheel adapters and I'll have to put the longer ones on for bolt-on wheels. Sorry about the confusion.

G

Yes absolutely you will.

They are a splined press fitting - you can knock them out with a mallet. I'm not sure of the "correct" way to replace them - I just use a spacer and a nut to pull them back in. To do it right probably involves a press...

Eric

Jedi Warrior
On a car this old, replacing something as crucial as wheel studs isn't a bad idea anyway.

G

And never, never, never, never let a garage gorilla use an impact wrench when tightening your lugs nuts.
Never.

Bill

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I've used a spare wheel as a spacer and older lug nuts to pull the studs in place. Worked fine, didn't need to go to the trouble of pressing on.