• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with LR series iiA Alternator conversion

Lionel

Freshman Member
Hello, I am new to the group and I am seeking help in converting my 109 Land Rover generator to high efficiency alternator. I have looked over several models such as Delco and Nippon Denso from various models and would like to know which model would offer the best and easiest conversion. Note: I have added fog lams, working lamps and other accessories to my vehicle. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Lionel

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum. You'll enjoy it here. As for you question, I'm sure I saw an article on such a conversion in one of my magazines......I'll dig through them, see if I can find it.

OP
L

Lionel

Freshman Member
William, Thank you for the response. I have seen some well documented articles on a VW and MG alternator conversion, and I was hoping to locate some well documented articles on Land Rover. The MG used a Honda Civic Nippon Denso conversion, I found information using a Nissan 300ZX Nipon Denso unit and a Nipon Denso for a Dodge Caravan both for Land Rover Series iia and iii type Land Rovers. The challenge has been getting additional documentation of the related subject. On the other hand, the person who completed an altenator convertion with well documented information was for a MG series. Understanbly, there are not the same engine, however seems closed enough to even considerer. One thing I want to ensure, is that I do not select a high amparage unit thinking that it will be best for my vehicle. As I mentioned earlier, I am running fog lamps, working lamps and driving lamps on my land rover and would like an unit best suited for the application. Look forward for some valuablefeedback. Thanks, Lionel

Bugeye58

Yoda
Lionel, first, let me welcome you to the forum. I'm certain you will find an answer to your question here.
Although I can't give you a direct answer, may I suggest that prior to selecting an alternator, you need to determine the amperage requirements of your accesories. This will help narrow the possibilities somewhat.
Jeff

OP
L

Lionel

Freshman Member
Hello Jeff, My land Rover is a '63 series IIA and looking at the manual it appears that the generator amperage is about 22 amps. I would like to install a 40 - 75 amp unit so that I can run my accessories such as total of four fog lamps and two working lamps and any other electrical accessories in the future. I installed an original new harness a few years back and I have been planning replacing with one of my own. I make my own using American wire tin plated with a lot more voltage and amperage capacity. The current harness in my Rover does not have enough fuses and the wires are too skimpy. Hope this information helps. Thanks

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Help with LR series iiA Alternator conversion-

Some info from my old days as a Series 3 driver:

Posted by Ron on 05/23/2000 12:18:06 AM:
In Reply to: alternator conversion posted by rob on 05/23/2000 12:14:26 AM:

See FAQ on the main RN page. Just buy a 10si delco 63 amp or 90 amp if you got the extra bucks. See the post I made in the archives about a month or two ago on how to mount it and also see Jim's bayou rovers page.

Cheers
Ron

PS this question gets asked at least once every couple of weeks

p.s check out: Roversnorth.com

TRY THIS!!

https://www.seriesrover.com/series_tech/modification/alternate_alternators.html

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Hi Lionel, sure it isnt a 2.25l series 2 being its '63?

urchin

Jedi Trainee

No, a '63 is a Series II-A. The change came in 1961.

I have a Land Rover alternator [Lucas] on my II-A, which I converted from a generator system. I have a second II-A that still has the original generator.

The conversion is not difficult, and I chose to use the late II-A - Series III alternator and bracketry to save myself some grief. Of course, you bypass the voltage regulator, too. You'll have more than enough amperage with a Lucas alternator; there's nothing wrong with Delcos although mechanics tell me that the failure rate on Delco rebuilds can mirror that of Lucas units.

Rovers North [800-403-7591] in Vermont or East Coast Rover [207-594-8086] have done a lot of conversions and will know the ropes.

Good luck with your 109",

Jeff

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag

HI.
I put a Delco on my 63 LR SIIa back in 1977. I got really tired of the stupid 22 amps.

Mechanical:
I just took a unit from a Chevy and mounted it to the original bottom pivot using nuts as spacers. For the top I took a piece of threaded rod and welded a washer to the end of it. This washer I mounted to the head or water pump or something up there. (It was a long time ago) I made a block of metal that fit around the threaded rod being adjusted by two nuts on the rod. The block was screwed into the Delco adjuster flange.

Electrical:
The main alternator terminal was connected directly to the original regulator power terminal with reasonably thick wire. This is also fed to the regulator on the Delco. The other terminal on the Delco regulator went to the original regulator up on the firewall, the wire that goes to the ignition warning light. Of course the car was then negative ground.

You can probably see a picture of the LR at https://www.eccentrix.com/members/donn_engler

Cheers, Donn