• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Wiring Harness

71tr

Jedi Warrior
During my rebuild I'm thinking of simply replacing the entire wiring harness in my six now that its stripped bare. Has anyone out there done this? What vendor carries the best harness? Are their any pitfalls?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try British Wiring Inc. They have the broadest experience with the various car harnesses and offer a variety of styles the most expensive of which is usually concours.--Fwiw---Keoke

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
71tr,

I've seen his web page and honestly I didn't like mounting the relay box under the hood. I found a pic of the relay mounted UNDER the battery box (I'm attaching the pic). I personally think this would be the way to go.

I wouldn't even consider Advance unless the product could me made to look a little close to stock.

Attachments

• 122446-Relay.JPG
    122446-Relay.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 109

danmas

Jedi Trainee
There are two schools of thought on mounting the relay panel. One school says that if you spend that much time installing it, and it's such an improvement over stock, you want to mount it where everyone can see it. The other school says hide it to keep the car as stock looking as you can.

For the later school, we recommend turning the panel upside down and mounting it in the same location as on the above mentioned web site, but hang it underneath the shelf. It's easy to get to there if you ever have to change a fuse or a relay, but it's out of site unless you are looking for it.

We've sold about 40 of these kits, and every one so far has been well pleased with them. I know of three cars with these kits that have been on the road for over four years with absolutely no problems.

However, if you wish to keep the car stock with a replacement harness, I highly recommend British Wiring ( https://www.britishwiring.com ). They sell a good product and they are great people to work with.

Dan Masters (Chief engineer for Advance Auto Wire)

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I went old school and replaced both wiring harnesses with stock components as part of my rebuild. I purchased both from TRF and the installation wasn't too difficult. For once, everything electrical works as it should!! Drop me a note if you decide to go that route and have any questions,

Mark
1970 TR-6

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I replaced the harness on the '3 when it was stripped bare (I realize a much easier task than a TR6) and consider it one of the nicest presents I've ever given myself. Every connection reliable, every wire color meaningful, very un-British perhaps but a joy to drive & work on.

I hate to see (apparently) fine TRs on eBay with wiring looms that are in sad shape with lots of electrical tape hiding goodness knows what patches. Whether you go stock or upgrade with Dan's kit the result should give you improved reliability and tell the world that this is a well-maintained car.