• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bleeding Lockheed Master

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was having some issues with my master leaking and have used some EPDM rubber to make new top and front gaskets. As with the first time I installed the master, once again having problems getting it to bleed. Attached is picture of inside of MC. I think the pistons are not fully returning (issue I had before). As I hope you can see from the picture, the piston is still blocking the large hole. There is at least 1/4 inch of movement before the rod contacts the piston, so there is slack in there suggesting the piston should move a little more (I've loosened off the front bolts to allow maximum pedal travel). MC worked fine earlier after I finally got it to bleed. Was thinking of using compressed air to force the piston back farther in the bore. Any other ideas? Guess most important question is whether the pistons look correct or are they too far "forward" at rest. Cheers, Mike

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pistons in Master.jpg
    Pistons in Master.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 169

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Are you using a vacuum bleeder or by hand? If the latter, it may help to bleed it at the pipe on the master to get things going. Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Can't tell what we are looking at...is the dark in the lower part of the holes rubber or open? If it's open, I think it's good. If it's the back side of the rubber cup, then it's not retracting enough.

Actually...it just came back to me. The tiny holes at the top are the ones that provide the fluid to the cylinder. The large ones just balance the back of the piston, but don't go to the pressure side.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks guys. Away from home now helping son move. Hope to get back at this later in week. Tried both normal and vacuum bleeding on clutch. Neither one working. Was not sure if that tiny hole provided fluid on pressure side. Can't imagine much flow going through there for bleeding? Cheers, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So after a couple of days of additional frustration trying to bleed the clutch by conventional method and also trying to use vacuum, I decided to go with pressure bleeding. BTW the brakes bled easily using method described in manual. Seems that the smaller pipe and perhaps the valve on the brake side are more effective for initial bleeding. In any case, made a simple flat steel plate and installed a tire valve. After installation of plate, 3 pumps with bicycle pump, open bleeder at slave, and air and fluid shot out into bleeder bottle. One more conventional bleed to make sure all OK and I was done. Total time to make plate maybe 30 minutes, cost about $3.00, bleed time less than 5 minutes, level of frustration zero. If anyone is about to bleed a Lockheed clutch, I'd suggest you not even bother with the other methods. Just make up this simple plate for pressure bleeding and be done with it. Some pictures attached for those who are interested. Cheers, Mike

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Plate with Valve.jpg
    Plate with Valve.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 123
  • In Car.jpg
    In Car.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 117

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Awesome Mike. Glad to hear that you got it solved.

Cheers
Tush