• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Yeah, I kind of bought another TR4. I wasn't looking - honest.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
They just keep following me home...

Built in 1964, titled as a 1965, I am the second owner now. Black plate California car, if there is any rust I cannot find it. Original everything, stripped in 1982 for a repaint and then pushed into the back of a SoCal garage and left there. She still has or original green paint on the floors and doors and trunk etc. Apparently she was sprayed with primer and then everything stopped. This it the car that had me asking about doing an engine rebuild since it was stored with the plugs out, I have put MMO down the bores but iffy as to if that will work.

But - here is the thing...I already have a 1967 TR4a. And a TR6. Even for me that seems a bit redundant. Ha.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Looks like you made a great purchase. Rebuilding an engine is a lot easier than having to do body work (anyway for me).

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
We're about to find out Terry! Kind of excited to try rebuilding an engine, but have some other projects to wrap up before creating more disassembled bits in the garage.

Thanks for the note.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great find Tom. She looks like she is in great shape. You'll have fun with the engine rebuild (if even needed).
I'd like to stop by and see your stable again sometime.

Did bumpers come with the deal?

Pat

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Built in 1964, titled as a 1965, I am the second owner now... if there is any rust I cannot find it. Original everything... still has or original green paint...

Sounds much like mine. It is TS36536L so possibly close in build to yours. Great find.

Probably had the funky big plastic turn signal lamps that that look out of place on that grille - I changed those to the earlier glass fixtures.

Does appear to have an 80s version of the fart-can tail pipe.

Any idea of the miles on it? Mine had about 50K and I will soon double that - so far at least no rebuild required.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Pat - by all means, get a current tetanus shot and come on over next time you are around. We can grab whatever happens to be running at the time and head into the canyons.

I do have the bumpers but they need to be redone or replaced.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds much like mine. It is TS36536L so possibly close in build to yours. Great find.

Probably had the funky big plastic turn signal lamps that that look out of place on that grille - I changed those to the earlier glass fixtures.

Does appear to have an 80s version of the fart-can tail pipe.

Any idea of the miles on it? Mine had about 50K and I will soon double that - so far at least no rebuild required.

Hi Geo - not sure of miles. OD says 8733, doubt that is accurate. The exhaust needs to go away. Far away. Soon. Ha.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Nice! Didn't you have 2 TR4A's at one point (and an MGC?)?

Scott

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom, you're my hero! The new car looks great! Looks like it was slumbering next to an MGA.
I can imagine the fights between them in the garage...
Best of luck!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The STC (Standard Triumph Corp?) was used at some point to designate the model year. Mine is on the opposite side of the car (near the chassis number):

Solenoid-TR4_zps4e1cda96.jpg

I do not recall if this was just required in some states or if other circumstances dictated it.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Interesting font on that number plate - quite unlike mine. Does appear (to me) to be original though - knowing that it is hard to find a reproduction of the plate that reads '1205 KILO' (which is what was on the late TR4s).

Looks like a reproduction to me both for the stamping and other differences in the painted (unpainted?) portions. TRF's reproduction shows the 1205 KILO weight.

https://trf.zeni.net/TR4-GB/165.php

And here's an original TR4 one that I have.

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
The STC (Standard Triumph Corp?) was used at some point to designate the model year. Mine is on the opposite side of the car (near the chassis number):

I do not recall if this was just required in some states or if other circumstances dictated it.

It seems like most of the ones with this were originally sold in California. Any idea of the history of your car Geo? :smile:

Scott