• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WOW!!!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I won't say anything about how much(or what)he smoked before he put that on but I think that he is putting US on!
BillM

"STUNNING" - he musta meant the price

m

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Think I've seen that one before.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sure is slicked up.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That one has been listed and relisted continuously for about year now. Started at 20,000 and is slowly working his way down. At this rate, he will be down to reasonable in 10 years or so. It got bid up to 10,000 one time it was on. He shoulda took it.
Sort of like that aconite 74 Midget that was on ebay for a couple years straight a some time back... it ain't gonna go anywhere until it gets to a realistic market price.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
that being said, and yes it is priced too high - it is likely the lowest mile (and hopefully most original) rubber bumper Midget left.

V

vagt6

It's a dealer listing, which tend to be a bit higher than personal sales.

I guess he's counting on the P.T. Barnum factor. Some guy's young wife sees it, then says "Ooooooooh, Honey, I WANT it! The poor fop pulls out his wallet and pays, for the sake of "domestic tranquility".

Otherwise, the price needs to be around $10K or less. :lol:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Regardless of condition, it's a rubber-bumper car, which is less valuable, and since it's after 1975, in California it has to be smogged. That greatly reduces your options for having fun with the car. Out here, people are lucky to get over $3500 for these, almost regardless of condition.

I don't know how many LBC ads I've seen claiming incredibly low "original" miles. It's flat-out impossible for all these really to be original. I just don't believe it unless it's documented. And, even if true, is it really good that the car was driven only an average of 225 miles a year? How many years did it sit unused? Parts of cars deteriorate with time, not only with mileage.

And, finally, is it really original? That paint stripe says "repaint" to me, and some things look just too clean to be original. I'd be interested to hear an evaluation from someone more conversant with this year of car than me.

It looks like a nice car, though, all in all, and if the seller would set a rational price and drop the BS, someone might be thrilled to get it.

V

vagt6

I'm with you, Steve. I'd rather have an antique car with 300,000 miles that's been RESTORED than one with "low miles"! It's actually sort of deceiving, or maybe naive, of the seller in some cases.

And, anyone who EVER purchased a Midget intending NOT to drive it is is, well, a bit nutty anyway. :yesnod:

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Well, I think it looks great (apart from the slimey, greasy tires)

Has the PCV "system" been changed to a pipe from the valve cover down to ground, or am I missing something. Did they change the location of the carbon canister in the later Midgets? Not criticizing, just interested.

Would love to drive it around the block.

Cheers!

Tony would have enjoyed tearing this one apart.......

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I call fake. There are several things that seem odd about this car. First of all, the ignition switch looks extremely beat up. Second, the brake test switch is heavily weathered. Third, I don't think the carpeting is original. I could be wrong, but those things all look suspicious to me.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else's comments. An RB car just isn't worth anything near this much money.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
You ain't kidding!
I had an identical 78 Midget back in 84. Wonderful car btw.

Mine was all original, but didn't have that carpeting.

It's interesting that with the copious amounts of Armor All applied to that car, they didn't get the brake test switch.

Not only is the ignition switch banged up, but the key looks like it's been on a garage desk for a very long time.

I don't know where they got those side stripes.

The wing window indicates 1st quarter 1978 which is consistent with its build date around May/June of 78. The rubber under said window is strangely distorted though, as though it were removed at one time.

I see some wire "quick connectors" in the front near the radiator. I can't say why that hose goes from the valve cover up past the radiator. The canister is at the engine compartment rear.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It looks genuine enough to me other than a dirty key, strange carpet, hose ect.. The car looks like a beautiful, genuine low mileage survivor. The stripes can be explained just by remembering the late 70's. A plethora of strange dealer applied combinations were done by everyone in order to try to "flash" up cars and boost sales. I remember going to lots in the late 70's and early 80's and every car had a different strange combination of dealer applied appearance packages with a little "additional dealer installed options" sticker next to the factory one.
My only concern here is that even though the seller has a "treasure" of a car, it is not worth a chest full of gold.
I have only seen one RB car go for over 10,000. That was a brown 79 a couple years ago. It had something under 1000 miles on it. The story on that car, as I remember - It was bought by someone who decided they didn't like it after a couple weeks and traded it back in. After that, the dealer who originally sold it decided to just keep it. It still had original sticker and dealer tags on visors keys ect.. It was finally sold by the guy's kid after he passed away.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well guys;
He says it runs smoother than any restored car and is tighter.
He hasn't seen the work ya'll do.
If he can get anywhere close to his asking price, good for him.
I do agree with the fact stripes etc. could have been dealer installed.
I'm sure if you guys had this one you would take care of those.
Maybe a small caravan of midgets descending on his business would help him see the light.
Just sayin'

Dave :cheers:

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
racingenglishcars said:
I can't say why that hose goes from the valve cover up past the radiator. The canister is at the engine compartment rear.
I think it's right; the Fed '79s had two charcoal canisters. One in the usual place, and the second one wedged in the front corner. The gas tank vented to the back one, the valve cover to the front, they were hooked together and dumped into the carb.

G

scoutll said:
It looks genuine enough to me other than a dirty key, strange carpet, hose ect.. The car looks like a beautiful, genuine low mileage survivor. The stripes can be explained just by remembering the late 70's. A plethora of strange dealer applied combinations were done by everyone in order to try to "flash" up cars and boost sales. .

No, it's a repaint IMO as it used to have a Cougar on the side of it too. ( or some type of cat mascot looking thing.) Notice the black paint in the drip rails on the fenders umder the hood.

It's taking too long to load but I know the car just from what y'all are saying about it.

(P.S, I'm Baaaaaa' aaaaack !!!!!)

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Billy,
This isn't the cougar or dragon car (or whatever that decal was) and that's Ziebart in the bonnet rails.