• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR All I can say is wow

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thought I'd share a few pictures from a trip I just completed with my fellow TR FOG buddies - this one was exploring the Southern Rockies. 7 TRs headed out of Houston and toured parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. Around 4700 miles in 2 weeks (with less than 50 miles on interstates), several mountain passes (TRs can climb to 11000 ft!), and a tremendous amount of twists and turns with beautiful scenery everywhere. As the title says, all I can say is wow!

Some brief learnings:

1) Heading south from Alpine to Morenci on The Devils Highway in Arizona (now Highway 191). I needed a change of clothes after that one - anyone who likes the Dragons Tail in North Carolina really should put it on their bucket list.

2) We enjoyed the Apache Trail with some Desert Centre TRA folks - and I'm now part of the national fundraising effort to get that road some new pavement! Seriously, I think some of the fillings in my teeth are loose now. ps. Thanks Keith & Geo for giving me a few heads up tips - we did stop at Brighton Motors and I temporarily was tempted by a few of their offerings.

3) Driving a TR in Phoenix traffic at this time of year is not a good idea. But fortunately O'Reillys really does carry replacement generators that can be installed around midnight to replace the one you fried in the heat.

4) My first real time visiting the south rim of the Grand Canyon - can't beat the visit when you are in a Triumph.

5) The Grand Canyon was grand. But no one ever told me about Bryce Canyon in Utah. If you like impressive scenery, checking out the canyon hoodoos is a must.

6) All states were unique and scenic and it almost seemed like the scenery changed significantly when we crossed state lines. Probably my imagination - but when you tour those states you will see a tremendous variety of beautiful views. I can't pick a favorite, but let me say that the drive south on the west side of the Rockies in Colorado put a big grin on my face. If you haven't driven the Million Dollar highway - do it. Don't worry about what you read in terms of it being dangerous. If you want dangerous, read my point #1!

7) If you have never been to Albuquerque, when you do make sure you carve out at least a day or more to enjoy it. We had a great visit with the gang at Mo-Ma, I highly recommend them for gauge repair after watching their operation. The Unser museum was also a nice treat, and the gondola ride up the Sandia Mountain is spectacular.

Anyway, here are just a few pics -

A stop at White Sands New Mexico (brief as that gypsum gets into everything):

IMG_8209_zpstpusxkja.jpg

Apache Trail stop in Arizona:
IMG_8307_zpswy4got3w.jpg

A very Grand Canyon for sure:
IMG_8356_zps2kz4gmib.jpg

The Hoodoos of Bryce Canyon are stunning:
IMG_8410_zpspihriziy.jpg

Snow still lurking in the Colorado mountain passes - I'm a happy camper!
IMG_8462_zpsxmzqu84e.jpg

Owner Joey at Mo-Ma shows us how he refaces old gauges:
IMG_1100_zpscyugbyju.jpg

The Unser museum was gearhead heaven:
IMG_1112_zpsgf7iv9na.jpg

The Sandia Gondola took us up to a great restaurant for lunch:
IMG_8474_zps6pod6zdu.jpg

Nothing beats a TR trip - if you haven't done one - do it!
IMG_8374_zpsev43qbbf.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - what a fantastic trip!

Congrats on getting me thinking of acquiring another TR ... eek.

Say, you mention your generator failed due to traffic and heat. What actually caused failure?

Tom M.

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
When were you in Albuquerque?

:culpability: Uh oh Basil - we were there Thursday night/Friday night May 26-27. Did I miss a chance to say hi in person?

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Wow - what a fantastic trip!

Congrats on getting me thinking of acquiring another TR ... eek.

Say, you mention your generator failed due to traffic and heat. What actually caused failure?

Tom M.

Thanks Tom-

I know you've been on similar length trips - and as for another TR, you know you want to!

For the generator, i thought I might be in trouble earlier in the trip when we hit a rain shower and it cut out on me - but after driving down the road a while things dried out and it was good for a couple days. In Phoenix we hit the more serious daytime heat for the whole trip, and the heavy traffic caused the pusher fan to kick on. Unfortunately I had no manual switch to override it so my rough theory was the current draw was more than it could take and it stopped generating current, at least enough so that the regulator was no longer pulling in properly for charging.

The nice thing with Oreillys is that you can search for Triumphs still and if you say look for a generator it will bring up a reasonable Lucas generator unit. A quick late afternoon call and they confirmed they could get one out of their local warehouse in a couple hours. I would have had it swapped in the parking lot but I found out after pulling the old one the previous owner had 'upgraded' to 3/8 bolts instead of stock 5/16" for the lower mounts - so I had to drill out the mounts on the replacement. But it really was an easy fix, in fact for our whole group we never had more than a 15-30 minute problem to contend with (leaking heater valve/bad spark plug wire/leaking slave cylinder).

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I see you had the oldest! I'm still jealous of your road trips!

Actually I drove a 67 TR4A - the oldest car was a 59 TR3A, driven by a sprightly 80 year old and dear friend. Also a great mechanic, the kind that can just listen a bit and immediately diagnose an issue. The 67 4A wasn't even mine - owned by another great friend and our tour leader who did a fantastic job setting up the whole thing. I'll probably need to have my own TR in shape for the next run, I'm not sure how long I can mooch rides off my buddies - but its worth a try!