• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow,

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That was intresting.

Drained and rebleed my clutch. Shoot it might be a bit better but I would not bet on it. Still goes way way down when shifting at high RPM. I just can not really see that there is a bubble in there. Oh yea used a speed bleeder fitting. Boy are they nice, pumped three full MCs of fluid through it all by myself. Guess I need to get four more of those for the brakes. I recommend most heartaly, great upgrade for us folks at home. No mess and easy.

Was comming home and it went bang bang and quit. Hmmm. Took about two min to discover that the dizzy had jumped out of the drive. Pushed it back in and turned it to about where I though it should be and drove home. Durn good thing I knew what was what. I did not have any tools. Duh, guess I need to put together a bit of an emergency tool kit. First thing will be a 7/16 open end second a 1/2 inch.

Retimed and tightend good. Guess I had it a bit loose and it did not like 5K a whole lot.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Checklists, checklist, checklists Jack. Glad all ok.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - give me a link to where I can buy those "speed bleeder fitting" please.

...& do you really need a tool kit or could you just've installed the dizzy correctly the first time? I know when we're working on these little cars, we sometimes forget things - like tightening down the dizzy - but do we really need to load up our trunks (& suspensions) with things <span style="font-style: italic">'just in case'</span>?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Tony, I have eight fuel pumps in my cave :wink:

Jack, please let us know where you got this from.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, must be something wrong with me!

Only thing I carry in the trunk of any of my MGB's is a can of automatic trans fluid so I can top off my carbs when I fill up with gas!

& I wasn't planning on carrying anything in the trunk of my Midget either!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
https://www.speedbleeder.com/

I think I will carry a couple of screw drivers, a couple of open end wrenchs 7/16 and 1/2, a pair of pliers, and a cressent wrench. Also part of a roll of duct tape.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Jack,
As a rule I don't buy tool "sets"...but in the case of a quick "throw in the boot" set of tools, the one pictured below is hard to beat. I believe mine came from Lowe's (Task Force brand). About the only things I've had to add is a few larger band clamps and a spark gapper. If I remember correctly I paid about $40 for it...maybe 1/2 of what the individual tools would have cost...and the small size is an advantage.

By the way, this one is on Ebay with a starting bid of $15.50 and shipping of $15...(better price than I paid)...item # 170212953234.

Instead of the two open end wrenches, mine had a small Crescent wrench and a pair of pliers...so there may be some variation.

Ray

6877_1.JPG

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I carry lots of emergency breakdown tools. I been there and its no fun on the side of the road. I am fixing me up a little tool pouch with the tools that I might need. Also a spare fuel pump, points and condenser, even an axle cause you never know. I am just paranoid that way. Definitely everyone should have basic tools and points, fuel pump, fuses, a meter, and a flashlight. harbor freight has a nice little cheap 3/8 socket set for less than 5 bucks in its own little plastic case. Would slide up under a seat, etc. Jack I once was at a drive through and all at once my midget sounded like it was blowing up and scared everyone. Turns out one of the spark plugs has come loose and all the way out and it was the compression blowing out. What about spare fluids? At least keep a spare quart of oil in the boot, to top up the engine if nothing else. I am actually trying to minimize/prioritize what I carry. I will only carry the things that I have seen fail on people on the road, you can't carry everything. I have experienced points, and fuel pump and I have seen axle,as well as other electrical problems. Also check the air pressure in you spare tire and keep a womans fingernail emery boaard for filing points/contacts and some clean paper for cleaning points/electrical contacts. Most of the things that you are going to need are not that space consuming.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The part you need is always the one in your garage at home!!

I remember once I was returning from the lake where I had been working on my boat...B jumped a rocker off the push rod...pulled over to side of road & took a nap under a tree until it had cooled off enough to put everything together with the only tool I had on me - a small adjustable wrench!

Another time a radiator hose burst...pushed it until I could coast down a hill to a nearby filling station where we "jury-rigged" it enough to get me home.

Another time, the temp sender in the radiator of my '79 B popped out (hard driving on my part)...pushed it back in & filled the radiator with water from a nearby lake until I could get home...hard carrying enough water to fill rad using a beer can I found on side of road though!!

Where's you guys' sense of adventure?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Adventure is all well and good, but a few decent tools are not expensive and sorta fun to compile. I only carry a few parts (rotor, points, condenser), but a decent small set of tools in a neat little bag/tool roll. They're good quality tools, so I'll use them for regular maintenance as well.

My motorcycles have always had tool kits, so I figured the car should have one as well.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only tools and tape.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been trying to put an "original" (well something that is somewhat close) tool set together... try finding open end wrench sets these days - I'm still combing yard sales to find some of them & still haven't been able to locate the 1/2" & 9/16" "tube wrench", only can find in the larger sizes for spark plugs. Harbor frieght has a nice tool roll though (which are hard to find as well) so now I'm just filling in the blank pockets as I go along..., that and a few zip ties,wire,lead additive,octane boost & 20W50... good to go !

bugimike

Yoda
With a Bugeye only a very basic "kit" is necessary! I carry a 7/16", a 1/2", one flat & one Phillips head screw-driver, a roll of electrical tape, a pair of pliers and a small vice-grip. Spare parts are limited to spare bulbs and fuses, a spare set of points and condenser and a spare spark plug! All of this is stowed inside the spare in the boot! (In the past and on longer trips, I have at times been known to carry an extensive tool box and bunches of spares!)

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jer said:
I have been trying to put an "original" (well something that is somewhat close) tool set together... try finding open end wrench sets these days - I'm still combing yard sales to find some of them & still haven't been able to locate the 1/2" & 9/16" "tube wrench", only can find in the larger sizes for spark plugs. Harbor frieght has a nice tool roll though (which are hard to find as well) so now I'm just filling in the blank pockets as I go along..., that and a few zip ties,wire,lead additive,octane boost & 20W50... good to go !
You could always buy one of these wrench set I am not too fond of what my grampa called "plow wrenches". I like a good combo set and then a good 3/8 ratchet set and a couple ajustables thrown in for good measure. Then the basics like vise grips, needle nose, screwdrivers and one of those cheap sets with the terminals and crimper/stripper for electrical.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Barry, that speed bleeder is the cats meow. I would recommend them for everyone at every cylinder. That was so easy.

I still have the prob though. Very low clutch at high RPM.

Drained all and rebleed, must have taken 30 sec to bleed. What a joy. I just have no idea what the real prob is. Guess I will just live with it for awile.

As reported to me: 3/8-24 size is good.

Country flag
I have a wicker picnic or knitting basket I found in the trash - it was perfectly good for my needs - that I carry in the back of my Mini wagon for my tool box. It keeps my car from looking cluttered or junky and it doesn't draw attention like a tool box would. One man's trash is another man's treasure! :smile:

Country flag
Speed Bleeders are good for a clean system, but once I used them on an old system and gunk kept getting stuck in the check valve.