• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow. What A Weekend.

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
So this weekend driving around in the little bugeye and I go around a curve pretty quickly. I hear a pretty loud noise (thought it was from the engine, but not sure, so in true bury-my-head-in-the-sand-so-I-don't-get-bad-news fashion, I kept driving a little bit)...and then I feel oil dripping on my left leg.

OMG. There is oil spewing into the car. Holy cow.

I immediately pull over, turn off the car, open the bonnet and then I am astounded at what I see next.

Oil has filled up the battery box and there is oil seeping on the master cylinder area. It's all over the wiper motor, wires going to the battery, the heater box...It's a disaster. But there's no other oil around the engine...I look and look. Can't find where the darn oil has come from. Not one area on the engine looks like it has just blown or exploded...nor is the engine covered in oil (relatively speaking compared to the battery box, battery, master cyl, wiper motor, etc.).

I spend the next 20 mins in horror looking around the engine compartment looking at everything I spent so much time on over the past many years just simply covered in motor oil. I have no rags, save a few napkins. I fruitlessly try to wipe away anything I can.

With an enormous pit in my stomach, I push the car home, leaving a long trail of oil behind me. I finally get her home, and immediately pull out towels, and start wiping and wiping. Out goes the battery box, undo the heater box, undo the master cyl. Try to mitigate the disaster the best I can. I am heartbroken, as some things will need total replacement if I ever want them to to look factory new again (i.e., cloth wiring harness pieces, etc.)

I spend the next 3 hours cleaning. I still can't find the source of the problem. The engine, albeit a little dirty, is fine.

At that point, my wife comes out and sees that I am starting to lose my mind, and decides I have had enough for the day. Having wiped up the best I could, I call it a day.

This morning, I head back out, of course. And I try to reconstruct what happended, and after about 10 mins, it dawns on me what has happened.

No, its not the engine breathing system. That's complete, and looks fine.

Nope.

What happened was the oil pressure hose--a stainless steel one that I have on there--brushed up against the positive battery post. It shorted and sparked, and caused the hose to fail internally, although I could not see the inner hose was fried. The oil came shooting out, filling the battery box (runs near there) which ran over onto the heater box, wiper motor, etc. Sure enough, I checked the pressure hose, and there was a 1" black smolder mark on the bottom side of the hose. Other than that, it looked remarkably fine from the outside.

And I could only blame myself. I had originally tied it down rather loosely, but 2 people had told me (one in the last week!) to make sure I did a better job tying it down. I ignored their advice (or just hadn't gotten to it). And this is what I got.

UPDATE: I spent most of Sunday coming up with a strategy to clean up this mess. I went out and bought some tough oil/grime fighting spray stuff. I basically ripped apart the interior by the foot wells, and plan to redo from scratch, as oil has penetrated some of the carpeting and the flimsy board material that goes around the heater ducts.

As for the engine, I took out the items that were impacted (master cyl, wiper motor, heater box, wires/looms, etc.) and will be replacing the gaskets and anything that can't really be cleaned.

What a mess. And I have no one to blame but myself.

Wow. What a weekend.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Wow! Is right. Sorry to hear about that. If I had a dime for all of the stupid mistakes that I have made in the past....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've seen those stainless braided lines spontaneously fail without benefit of a battery contact, too. Not sure if there was a "bad batch" of 'em or it is caused from age/vibration. I've not trusted the "commercially available" ones since. Aeroquip for my cars. JEGS, Summit or a local hydraulics shop.

bugimike

Yoda
:eeek: Well, the good part is there was no catastrophic failure!!! Clean-up is better than rebuild!! :thumbsup:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: Messy but could have been so very much worse.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear of the mess and bother. Yikes!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yuk.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I can talk about the mess created in Bugsy when the DPO fired up the engine without oil pressure gauge line being attached to the engine. The hole for the oil pressure gauge is right in line with the access port for the clutch slave bleeder. DPO pumped almost a quart of 20w/50 sideways out of engine and into passenger compartment before he realized what was happening. Everything needed to come out even tarpaper /particle board on the floorboards. All panels and carpet on PS needed to be replaced. A mess to be sure.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
You could take it to a car pressure washer and don't get up real close to flake paint or anything, but just keep going over it with the soap spray. It cuts grease and oil pretty well and gets rid of it. It works good on an engine bay. I used to do that before doing any engine work to keep the job kinda clean. Good luck with the clean up.

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
I know exactly how that feels! I worked two days straight without sleep finishing the paint on one of my BMW 2002's. I was preping it for a big out door show. I Just finished washing all the compound out of the jambs and under the hood.

All I had left was to pull it out of the shop, and catch a one hour nap in the office (5:00 am) to get to the 7:00 am check in.

I started the car with the hood open. The 2002 hood opens forward. Suddenly oil started shooting up out of the engine compartment all over the underside of the hood, on the roof, windsheild, cowl, all over the engine and up on the ceiling of the shop! DRAT!

I guess while I was wiping off the engine I cracked the copper oil pressure line. I didn't have a spare crush barrel fitting. At 5:00 am I wasn't gettin one at the local flaps either! So I carefully drilled the copper line out of one side of the barrel fitting and slid the line out then reused the fitting.

It only took about another 1 1/2 hours to pressure wash the oil off and get the car re-detailed. So much for sleep. It's over rated anyway!

The loss of sleep was worth it. I trophied over some serious big money cars!

Attachments

• 10498.jpg
    10498.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 88