• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wow, nice cover Dougie...

Country flag
I haven't read it yet, but I like the pictures with you doing the switch around with the Ferrari.

100/6 eh? Good looking car! :wink:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Randy, the article is really just my thoughts on racing a big Healey and the passion I have for it.

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
Well, I *just* finished reading it in its entirety, and I LIKE the way you think! Your writing skills aren't bad either, as you carried me along, just as if you were talking to me directly. Every writer so be so lucky!

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Great read. It made want to get my 1006 back into racing. IE: it was raced before I restored it. but it now has a BJ8 like engine so I was not sure if it could still qualify for vintage racing.

Write some more, we want to hear about the costs, problems, fun, and everything else.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8

ahealey1004

Yes Doug great article! I really like the list of modifications you included and how well you described them in the article. Great to see a big Healey being campaigned in the Pacific NW- I remember fondly seeing Don Chapman's purple racer at PIR. Actually when I was a kid I remember when he first acquired it- they had it at John Wilson's old house and they fired it up- it was a beast! And later seeing Richard Mayor running at PIR was always exciting. So it's great to see you carrying the torch, representing AHCO!
One of my 100-6's was originally the same color as yours. Just how rare was that color?
Thanks for sharing!
Austin
AHCO member

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you all. I'm working on an article about my trip to the Sonoma Historics last month I hope to have it to Reid for an issue of the Healey Marque.

There's just not enough big Healeys racing now-a-days.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Where can we read the article discussed above?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tim -

I wrote an article on vintage racing a big Healey which is in the current issue of the AHC-USA newsletter. Send me a PM with your email and I'll be glad to send it to you.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Doug,
Great article and details on how you got got yourself a beautiful and winning Healey. Have seen your videos and now nice to see a lot more details. Nice to see a 100-6 represent - since I own a 58 BN6 !!!
Regards,
Mike

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have now read the article and I too enjoyed it. Thanks Dougie.

You made an interesting statement that I hope you can elaborate on. You said that the Healey is difficult to get to know as a racer (or words to that effect), reminding me of Ann Moss's statement that she felt she never got the most the car had to offer (!). (If you were just talking about tuning and tweaking, then maybe skip the rest of this. But I think you were talking about driving it.) As a street driver with zero racing experience, I may not be able to understand what is behind these declarations, but I would like to try. Can you give examples and maybe compare why the Healey differs from, say, an MG or Porsche in this way? And is this evidence that the Healey is a better design or what?

Again, as just a street driver, I have concluded that one reason it is so fun to drive is that it manages to find some kind of karmic balance throughout; everything seems to blend together so well. If correct, does this have anything to do with what you are saying?

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:iagree: Well done.

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Doug,

That is a very nice article you have written and while reading you can feel the passion you have.

I like as well your style of writing and the way you describe things in your article make sense and things clear.

The modifications you have done are described well and I look forward to read your next article, which raise for me the following question have you wrote articles before.

Thanks for sharing

Harry

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Doug, just wanted to chime in to tell you that I really enjoyed the pictures and article!!....well done!!!..CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm really impressed with what you have done to your Healey and the racing credits you are running up. I love seeing a Healey raced!

Cheers,
Steve
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you Harry, to be honest this was my first effort in writing anything for publication. I do admit I've read everything Burt Levy has written (Last Open Road) and like to collect and read any automotive themed literature. Plus, it's always easy to write about something you love. One of recent favorites is "The Art of Racing in the Rain", by Garth Stein. https://www.garthstein.com/arr/ You might enjoy it.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Doug, it was interesting to read about Pat Moss recollecting how hard it was to drive the big Healeys and said she was afraid of them. I'm sure she would have respect for the way you seem to have tamed the beast!