• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield installation. Help needed

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Well, we have two questions.
1. The original windshield cracked so we bought a replacement. We had everything re chromed purchased all the new seals, and after putting it together, we have small gaps in the lower corners. They are small but I can fit a toothpick in the holes. It seems like there isnt alot of window glass in the frame either. It will hold for sure but seems odd. I'm wondering if the windshield is too small.
2. the new rubber seal that feeds into the lower windshield frame is too thick to fit into the chanel. Any secrets on how to get it in there?

Thanks alot, believe it or not, it's getting close :yesnod:

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The bottom rubber that you buy are not all the same. TRF,VBand Moss can have different sources.
When I did mine the bottom rubber fit very tight, I used a lot of soap and water. It fit with a little work. The wind shield I installed fit very nice. Did you lay the new one on the old glass for size?

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
We did not lay the new one ont the old. We mistakenly discarded the broken one before we could.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Can anyone give me the measurement of the windsield, top to bottom that is exposed between the chrome pieces? This might tell me if the one I have is just too short.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rusty,I am working on my windshield,and measure 11.25" in the center,of exposed glass.Do your frame corner miters fit tight,or is glass loose?
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Pulling/stretching the seal may reduce the profile some to allow it to move in.

If you are using the plastic 'chrome' piece that fits in the rubber surround, I suggest you leave it long (overlapped) for a couple of months to give it a chance to shrink. Else you may find that it develops a gap too large for that little trim piece to cover.

For sake of complete info -- what brand of windscreen did you get? Pilkington is the British company, I think there may even be some Chinese windscreens out there.

<span style="font-style: italic">D'oh, it is a TR3... never mind.</span>

JImEgan

I went through 2 U.S. made aftermarket windscreens on my GT6. None fit well. Ended up with Triplex that had the correct curves. I agree with leaving the plastic chrome long as mine did shrink.

Jim

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the measurment. The glass fits tight and I'm not worried about it pulling out of the frame but the gaps will leak. Now the car wont be driven in the rain unless unexpected but i assume it will leak when washing it. The glass wash purched from Victoria British.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It almost sounds like the glazing seal you used (too thick) has let all the glass go upwards into the top part of the frame, leaving insufficient glass to fit into the bottom part.

Here is the glazing seal from Moss that has the perfect thickness and width. After it's all together you take a sharp box cutter and trim off the excess rubber that you see protruding.

Attachments

• 23948.jpg
    23948.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 160
OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
You may be correct. We couldnt get the window in the frame with the seal so we ended up taking it to a auto glass guy. Turns out, he couldnt either and therefore ended up using a different rubber seal. This is most likly the issue. Thanks again