• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

windshield installation

chris57

Country flag
A H 1964 Sprite. Anyone know the correct sequence for new windshield installation? I'm guessing the rubber goes into the frame first and then the glass and then some sort of a secondary rubber piece. Probably a sort of locking bead. Any tricks would be appreciated. And is it just me or is it near impossible to find information like this in writing. Like a shop manual or instructions that might come with the glass? Thanks

nomad

Yoda
Side curtain 64 or roll up window car. The change was during 64.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
I've yet to do one for my BE but I think you know the drill. I'm sure there is more on it in the archives or google. The rubber might be a single piece with a separate bead that folds in. I've replaced those types on heavy equipment and tractors before and it wasn't difficult. i believe the frame to body seal is the mean one.

Kurt

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just had mine done by a fellow who restores British cars for a living. LOTS of dish soap was involved. The rubber goes in the frame, and with a bit of masking tape on the frame and the glass to mark center. He used a plastic tool similar to a bicycle tire lever, started at a bottom corner, and went for it. It took him about 30 minutes, no easy task. Once in the rubber, the glass has a surprisingly good amount of float to center it. He also tried a trick with using a rope, but the rope pulled all the way out. It did get that section done quite fast.

OP
C

chris57

Country flag
I got it. Took considerably longer than 30 minutes but I may have been too careful. I also had the dawn dish soap out. And Like you I settled on putting the rubber in the frame first and then working the glass in. I also started at a corner. Worked my way up one side and then sort of let the glass settle to the side. This allowed me to go across the bottom and do the other corner. The top went a little easier. As always. Thanks all for your input.

AndriesS

Freshman Member
I fitted the rubber to windscreen first, then added a thin rope I guess 2.0mm to the thin slot in the frame side. I used 2 pieces. on for the bottom and one running from the bottom edge right round to the other. running soap on the rope an dslot

I then positioned the rubber and screen on the inside of the frame starting and bottom corners, first tucking the ends of the rope to the other side. I then forced the rubber into the frame (forced sounds bad but its quite easy). I started by placing both bottom edges in place and worked my way up and around .

I then pulled the top rope to move the rubber lip over the little extrusion on the inside of the frame, being careful around the attachment (pillar to frame) holes as they tend to cut the rope. then I did the bottom piece.

One thing I did notice you need to put some squeeze on the frame in the center on the long edge.

I used a little stiff wire diamond shape to feed the locking strip in, makes it a lot quicker tool1.jpg