• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield installation The "EASY" way.

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
Ok, so finally got the windshield re-installed on the car last night. I figured I'd post what we did... maybe it will help someone else. This is definately easier as a 2 person job.

First, replacing the windshield to body gasket. This was actually fairly simple.

1) remove the 3 screws from the windshield top frame and ONE of the windshield pillars.
2) remove the 2 screws from the windshield bottom frame and the pillar (these may be hidden under the gasket).
3) remove the windshield pillar. I had to lightly tap mine with a rubber mallet to work the glass gasket out of it.
4) remove the old windshield to body gasket and clean the gasket channel WELL.
5) use liquid dish soap (do not dilute) liberally in the channel. also soap up the gasket where it will contact the channel. too much soap will be better then not enough!
6) feed the new gasket into the channel. Have one person pull the leading edge of the gasket while the other person feeds and pushes the remaining gasket into the channel. If all goes well, less than 5 minutes to install.
7) trim (if necessary) the gasket to length.
8) reinstall the pillar. Again, use a liberal amount of dish soap on the windshield glass gasket. Tap lightly with a rubber mallet if necessary.
9) reinstall the pillar screws into the top and bottom windshield frame.

Ok... now for the FUN part, putting the windshield back onto the car.

The windshield to body gasket will want to "roll" under the windshield. I read a trick from www.teglerizer.com. On the inside of the gasket, run a length of duct tape to the underside of the gasket lip (the side that makes contact with the paint when in place). after the windshield is in place and bolted down, you just slowly pull the tape off and it will unroll and position the gasket. This worked... perfectly.

I was lucky that a friend had a 2" wide ratchting strap, long enough to go AROUND the car.

We set the windshield in place. Wrapped the strap around the car (pad the strap to protect the paint), making sure the strap came across the lower "ears" on the windshield pillars. Check the windshield to body gasket and the windshield pillar to body gasket alignment! When we tightened the strap, the windshield went right into position on one side and we were able to start both bolts with the shims... no problem. (Don't tighten these all the way down yet). On the other side of the windshield, the bolt holes were still off a little. We used a "rat tail" pry bar (about 12" long) in the lower mounting hole (this hole isn't threaded... only the upper hole is, so no worry about damaging threads here). Lift UP on the pry bar gently and line up the bolt holes. Start the upper bolt (don't forget the shims). After the upper bolt is in place, remove the pry bar, put the lower mounting bolt and nut in place.

After all bolts are in place, tighten everything down and finish by mounting the windshield center rod.

Total time to replace the windshield to body gasket and remount the windshield, about 25 minutes.

Ok... i know this post was long, but hopefully it will save someone else a lot of frustrations.

Country flag
Sounds good! You should add it to the knowledge base.

Country flag
Hmmm, I just read the first part of your message again. To put the frame to body gasket in place does NOT require removing the side pillar. You only need to place one lip in the channel and then use a blunt tool to press the other lip in place. (again... about a 5 minute job.)

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the tip Trevor. I didn't know that was possible, so I ended up removing one side pillar.