• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why paint engine compartment black

tateboys

Just curious...

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
My theory...

Because it easier than trying to get a good match with the outside of the car when you paint it. Lower production cars, like the Dino that I used to have, do it from the factory. I suppose that is because it is easier to just spray the compartment, and sometimes the trunk, black and wait for the customer to specify an exterior color.

And the infant's name is......? I am expecting my first grandchild in March and I am a certified, licensed infant nut case. Life will be over the top when Dixie Rose Blue arrives! LOL LOL Jack

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ummm... To hide the oil and grease? ahhh... because the original colour "clashes" with the $99 Maco job?

*shrugs*

idunno... mine's white.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
MGBs don't have black engine compartments! Unless the rest of the car is black. They are the same color as the rest of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Early mornin' coffee clatch, I see.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Infant's name is Drew--and he'll be 6 Nov. 20th! He's a car nut like his dad, and at the Concours show, dad was drooling over the MGs, and Drew said, "whaddya mean it doesn't have a backseat--where'm I gonna sit?"

Congrats on the impending arrival!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ferrari used a semi-flat black. On THOSE cars it looks proper. In England there's a law that any "translucent" material (read "glass-fibre re-enforced plastic" here) used to construct a car MUST be painted black in the engine compartment. I guess they figger'd the errant high voltage discharges from the Lucas iggy systems would be a visual distraction to other motorists at night.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, I'm drinking mine right now! Getting primed for some pancakes and eggs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Whew, You guys are too quick this morning! Must be some early risers. Ahhhh, the baby looks wonderful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Paul161--where in SC are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

20 miles west of North Myrtle Beach, just south of Loris in the farm country. Were surrounded by horses and horse farms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Yup, what they said. To hide stuff (rattlecan paint is a lot easier and quicker than properly cleaning an engine bay) and for the touch up without 'matching' exterior color.

Jack, Chuck's going to be a grampa for the first time too, in June. We saw "pictures" of the little parasite last night. Got tired of calling it Rorschach (because it looked like an inkblot) So now it's Pari (figure that's generic enough for a girl or boy kidlet)

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Hey - Can y'all hold it down a notch? Some of us're tryin' ta read the paper here!

Kandace - Cool kid. I like the way he thinks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Welcome aboard, by the way.

R.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just finishing my coffee, time to head for the garage and check on trouble.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kandace - MG offered an optional "back seat" for the MGB's - we had one in a '65 whne my daughter was tiny....worked great

Its really just an MGBGT rear seat bottom that's been modified to attach to the battery tray...we can show you how to do one.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Glad to be aboard. We have the boat, now to add the B. Love yours, got any more pics?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent, another Drew car nut in the making (well, technically I'm a Andrew, but who's counting). And we almost share a birthday (I'm a day and quite a few years earlier). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Tunebug's engine bay is black, and I really don't like it. Gets really dark under the bonnet cave. Will go back to the proper white someday.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

He's actually an Andrew as well. But he only hears that when he's in trouble.

Just curious about it since some of the cars for sale have black engine compartments. Wasn't sure if it's to cover problems or what.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kandace - an MG with a black engine compartment is hiding something - only if its hiding just the PO's ignorance....however, when I open a hood & find a black compartment, I question everything else about the car (& the price goes down immediately because I would have to remove the engine, strip the compartment, paint, etc.)

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
He's actually an Andrew as well. But he only hears that when he's in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 17 year old "Hears" William Andrew when he is in crap. Usually hears it 6 times before he responds.