• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

engine paint

chrpark

I have searched this forum but I can't find the thread that dicussed engine paint colors previously- i believe Moss sells the original color olive green and someone had said two cans plus some hi temp clear would do the trick., Any other opinions? Krylon alternative in same color? thanks

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I used one can on mine, no clear. However, if I had to do it again, I would use clear. I haven't seen a comparable green in another brand. At the same time, there are a lot of other colours being used as well.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I looked around and didn't see any hi-temp green. I went Ford Blue but next time I pull the engine it's getting the proper green, even though the Moss $$ is high. I thought about a John Deere dealer, that's too green but they have to have rattle cans of engine green, no? I never got that far though.
152378d1263787277-john-deere-4300-complete-rebuild-jd_paint_a.jpg

dklawson

Yoda
I chose Austin-Healey green from POR-15. It's a bit different than the OEM paint but covers VERY well. It has also been holding up very well. You can see my POR enamel painted engine here:
Click here!

nomad

Yoda
I've used the Moss engine green and though it is good paint I don't believe it is the correct color match for the early engine's. I am sure someone else here can elaborate.
KA.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm surprised at how close the POR-15 Healey green is to the original, or at least to the "original" 948 color as I've seen it, which may not be perfect. Still, it looks to me like a good option.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I've used the Moss paint with good results on my B engine. Just make sure you clear coat it as coolant can discolor it.

I use the Moss olive green with final coat of Duplicolor hi temp clean and it looks spot on to me as for the original color. Hersh is alo outstanding engine paint and they have the BMC olive green, but you have to shoot it with a paint gun, but it hands down is the best engine paint. The POR15 is good paint, just little dull looking in my opinion.

dklawson

Yoda
I agree that the POR is "dull" looking compared to the factory paint. I also found it to be a bit more "olive" in color than the original. However, I'm not unhappy with it.

I'm not familiar with Hersh. However, for those who may be put off by the idea of having to spray it, I imagine it could be thinned a bit for spraying using a single-action air brush. I had to thin and spray the POR paint on the smooth metal parts (like valve covers) and the only caveat to share about that process is do NOT use the POR solvent to thin their engine enamels. Use mineral spirits and plan on applying several thin coats, then buffing the part if it needs to look really nice.

dklawson said:
I'm not familiar with Hersh. However, for those who may be put off by the idea of having to spray it, I imagine it could be thinned a bit for spraying using a single-action air brush. I had to thin and spray the POR paint on the smooth metal parts (like valve covers) and the only caveat to share about that process is do NOT use the POR solvent to thin their engine enamels. Use mineral spirits and plan on applying several thin coats, then buffing the part if it needs to look really nice.

Hirsh paint can be brushed on, but don't expect the same high gloss finish you will get by spraying bottom line, don't waste your money on this premium engine paint if you're going to brush it. I tried brushing it on as the instruction said you could, I was disappointed in the look, call them and they said if you want a nice glossy look, to spray it, it was like night and day difference when spraying it. Sprayed will always look better than brushed.

Go to Drew's website and look at the 1275 I built for him, if you want to see a slick olive green painted engine. It was all painted separatey before assembly, so you could see the detail of the cad coated grade 8 bolts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
nomad said:
I've used the Moss engine green and though it is good paint I don't believe it is the correct color match for the early engine's. I am sure someone else here can elaborate.
KA.

There are 2 Moss Greens (actually 3 but one is metallic)

220-550 is light green
220-580 is the olive green (the shade we want)

In reality, the paint shades varied of the production years not because there was a right or a wrong but because the vat got topped up and whatever came out of the spray gun came out of the spray gun. It my understanding that it was not a closely regulated colour, it was a "close enough." colour.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks JP, but disturbing cause I love the original paint on my 65 engine. Hope I can get a close match. I think the paint I had used was the light metallic.
KA.

Yep, what you want is more like a Army green, not a John Deer green. I done more than a few A series engines also in the big Healey met. green for customer wanting this color.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Speaking of metallic green, I have a full can of Moss metallic green that came by mistake with an order of Morris engine green. Anybody who might need a can PM me.

Country flag
You may want to talk with Doug Reid;
mrfinespanner@earthlink.net

He has done quite a bit of research on the correct engine paint color, and agrees that the color varied batch to batch. However, Doug has created a green that he considers to be as close to the original formula as you can get. (I have no connection to his enterprises, just admiration).

Larry