• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Volvo 122s - Anyone have thoughts on it?

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
A buddy of mine's neighbor has one for sale for about a grand. I am going to go look at it on sunday, and was curious as to what I should keep my eye out for with this car.

I've heard alot of great things about 122ses and 123GT's. Anyone here have comments/suggestions?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Zack....about which marque do you want to become "THE" expert?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Took me a long time to learn that lesson - & I still forget from time to time....you & I are just alike: we want to rescue every little orphan car out there.

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Indeed.

Now I confess, I am interested in the Volvo because it seems to be complete. The kid is moving and has to get rid of the car ASAP. And from what I understand, a good solid 122 2 door is not only fun, but is rising in value.

Tony - I also need to talk to you about my RB GT. We are about to put the motor in, but doing what the fellow on the other board did with the block and the angle grinder really makes me cringe a bit. Any other options on putting a CB 18V motor into a RB car?

Don Lattimer

Jedi Hopeful
I have a 1966 122s along with my 1971 Marcos. The Volvo is for rallying up here in the Redwoods. Look for rust in floors. Very common. The B18 engine is bulletproof and Weber set-ups are common vs. the original dual SUs'. I paid $1k for mine and love it. check with ipdusa.com and brickboard.com for info.

Don

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Zack - if you're talking about who I think you are, you needn't worry about doing what he did...so long as your front plate is correct & you make allowances for the motor mounts, its a snap...we'll PM.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Under the bonnet check the battery box area they are prone to perish if PO's do not keep the maintenance up. The tin worm loves the little Volvos too!.--Keoke

i am having a real hard time trying to find some brake drums for the front of mine. Seems mine is the only car in the world with 10 inch front drums.....go figure.

mark

davelgee

SU, why not go with the discs from a latter 122? They should be easy to find and if you replace the "A" arms and discs as a unit you get better ball joints (cheaper to replace and last longer too).
Change the bushings to IPD stuff while you are doing it and you will tighten up the front end at the same time.

Just my .02
Cheers!
Dave G.

i would love to Drive it and report back on it. As far as buying advice, mine kinda fell in my lap and the price was ridiculous, so now i own it. I would check the usual stuff, look for rot , not many hidden places as far as i can see, for rust to hide itself.
as far as my difuculties finding parts, you may not have the same troubles as i. mine seems to fall in between early and the later ones. I have been looking all around, but must not be looking in the right places, guess i need a parts car........or a good volvo graveyard.....

mark

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark, I have a bunch of 122 stuff in storage I will see if I have a set of brake drums for the front end over the weekend ? . Yes, getting parts for the older little volvos is difficult and a parts car or a well stocked junk yard if you can find one! is a requirement.--Keoke

thanks Keoke

mark

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
thanks Keoke

mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark, I went through my 122 junk today and I do not have the front drums I guess I must have given them away some time ago.---Keoke

oh well.....thanks much for checking for me.

mark

How did ya make out Zack?

mark

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll keep me eyes peeled for spare 122 bits down here,too, Mark. Seen plenty of old, odd EuroTrash in my travels.

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Well... I went to look at the car today.

Its in average shape. Nothing that made me jump and whip out my checkbook, but far from being a wasted trip.

Car does have some wear/is beat up a bit. The usual bent rear bumper, small rust pinholes under the tail light, etc.

However, the car seems solid structually speaking. He has the springs shackled to lower the car as it is using 14" wheels, instead of whatever came on it. Does not appear to have ever been wrecked though.

Car has a new clutch, rebuilt trans, new brakes, and a few other niceities, but the battery was dead.

After everything was said and done, we agreed that he would pull it out of where it was parked, wash it, and get it started by next weekend, and I would make up my mind about the car then. I also talked him down to 750 bucks, if I do buy it.

We will see what a week can do...