• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Volvo 1800ES "project"

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
It all started quite innocently...

The automatic transmission in my Volvo was on it's last legs. I had already picked up a Volvo M41 manual transmission to swap in when the automatic bit the dust and last fall we decided the time had come. The plan was simple. Pull the engine out, swap the transmissions, install the few odd bits needed for the new tranny (clutch pedal, O/D switch, etc.) and replace the engine.

"What if..." Two words I think I never should have uttered. What if we clean up the engine while it's out and repaint it... What if we install new stainless steel brake lines while the engine is out... What if we pull out the whole front suspension assembly and clean that up while the engine is out... What if we touch up the surface rust in the engine bay... What if we repaint the engine bay... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

jlaird read my Volvo blog and asked me to update him when I made any new entries. So rather than clogging up the MG forum any further with my Swedish tales of insanity, I figured I'd do it here instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jlaird, consider yourself alerted! My blog has been updated as of tonight with new Volvo adventures and pictures. I've just finished step #2 of my engine bay preparation in hopes of getting some fresh paint in there this weekend.

And here's something you won't see everyday. First, because there's usually an engine in there and second, because I hate having my picture taken.
Robyn.JPG

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Where did you get that "Garage Mahal" sign?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's what's called a "As long as" project.
I did that on my TR6,when I replaced the radiator hoses.
I looked at it and said "As long as I'm replacing the hoses,
I might as well have the radiator recored.And as long as I've got the radiator out I should repaint the supports,&
aslong as I'm repainting the supports........"
The smart thing is knowing when to stop.

- Doug

Classic case of the "Might as well"'s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get that "Garage Mahal" sign?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony, I know it doesn't compare to your Garage Mahal but some friends of mine had the sign made for me in return for hosting a couple "Tech Days" last year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
oh boy, I still love those 1800-E and ES Volvos. I had one of each back in 1973 (E Coupe) and in 1975 (ES Sport Wagon). Fabulous cars, especially the E with the 4-speed overdrive. The 3 speed automatic ES was slow but still fun and sporty. The most trouble I ever had was the Water Pump gasket failing in the B-20 engine constantly on both cars. I think I ended up putting 3 gaskets together sandwiched between Marine Tex putty and that finally stopped the leaks. (mechanic told me to do it). I still have the 1973 Dealer Brochure that came with my 1973 1800-ES. (see atached). FYI, these cars had a lot of design features from the Spanish "Pegaso" car of the 1960's starting with the 1800-S. Both of my 1800 cars had factory air conditioning mounted under the dash. They are very cozy.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Attachments

• 184806-Bro-73-Volvo-ES.jpg
    184806-Bro-73-Volvo-ES.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 68

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Have fun with that P1800! I had one....sort of.

In the early 70s, a college chum had one that I admired, so I went looking for my own.
I ended up buying a P1800 that was converted to 289 Ford power (with a 4 speed). Years later, after it was long-sold, I discovered that it was probably one of the Holman-Moody conversions done for Volvo in the 60s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
More info:

https://www.vclassics.com/hiperf4.htm

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
Looks like the "what ifs", "might as wells" or whatever you choose to call them, are striking again...

We're now thinking that since the car is all apart, we'll drain the gas tank and take it over to a place near the shore that renews old tanks. I must have a hole rusted through the pick-up tube inside the tank because while I have a 13 gallon capacity, I can only ever get about 8 gallons out before the car stalls as if the tank is empty. I've heard from other owners that it's a common problem.

I could buy a new tank but they are over $500! I think not.

Sigh... It would be nice to actually make some forward progress and put a part back INTO the car, rather than continuing to take stuff OFF.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"This too shall pass." Ya just gotta "out-patience" the machine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
I don't know. She's pretty patient. Certainly wins all the staring contests I try to have with her. I always blink first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Practice on th' cat first. You'll win over th' car in the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is that your Red garage in the background of the first
1800ES picture?
Nice!

- Doug

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
Nope. That's the barn the car sat in for about 14 years after the previous owner had it restored in '89 and then parked it, hoping his son would one day show an interest in it. Fortunately, for me his son never did.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Robyn - On the way to jury duty this morninig I passed a beautiful gold P1800ES - driver looked like he was the original owner....beautiful car!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I saw one Saturday while I was out driving around in the ........ SNOW .... of SoCal (of all places)... it was a green color... the guy driving it certianly looked a lot more cozy than I felt in my B... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have a couple of Es's running around Eureka.
It's sad to see one of them (Red) parked outside all the time.
I remember one magazine called it " The station wagon for people who don't want to be seen driving a station wagon".

- Doug

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I remember one magazine called it " The station wagon for people who don't want to be seen driving a station wagon".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one. I've got a framed ad that describes the ES as "a sports car that really hauls". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We had a busy weekend here. Got the engine bay all painted. What a difference. It's not perfect but it's about a hundred times nicer than it was before so I'm not complaining. And I've finally been able to start getting some paint on all the suspension/brake bits that have been taking up space in my sunroom for a couple weeks now. I finally feel like we're moving forward. Woohoo!!!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
"a sports car that really hauls"

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems to be the on going theme with Volvos... I remember the Volvo Turbo wagon TV ad that dipicted a Lambougini Countache hauling arse on a winding road through a corn field but all you could see was a U-Haul trailer over the stalks of corn. When the Countache came into a clearing with the trailor attached they gave the punch line ("The basic idea behind the...") and showed the Volvo Turbo wagon passing the Countache... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that was one of the late 80's early 90's ads.