• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1985 Volvo DL station wagon

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
So... My current beater car (and only car) is finally in death throes as the CV boots finally gave up on it, and as it's a ratty old Plymouth Sundance I really don't think it's worth fixing up this time...

There is a guy down our street who has the aforementioned Volvo for sale... It's another old beater, actually older than my Sundance /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif But that is about all I can afford right now anyway, oh yeah and it has the 4-speed/over-drive transmission and I want back into a standard transmission... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

I talked to the owner tonight briefly as I saw him arriving home with it, and he said that it's in good shape still mechanically and should pass the Alberta safety in his opinion (of course I'll have it checked out anyway), and he still drives it everyday, he figured around $1,000 (CDN) would be a right price for him.

Any opinions on Volvos in general? Is this worth going for? assuming all mechanical stuff checks out okay And for those wondering, an LBC isn't an option right now, so perhaps a large-Swedish-car might be a good option? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm sure you've heard all the stories about how long Volvos last in Sweden. They are great cars if serviced properly. The final choice is yours, but I see no reason to back away from a car that has met Alberta's safety standards. Here in Ontario, we have similar standards and if the technician is reputable, then the car is OK. Just one man's opinion Dave.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I am somewhat familiar with Volvos and their reputation, and despite their squareness am not immune to buying one... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
James, I've got an '89 740 turbo wagon, and a '95 850 sedan. The things are bulletproof.
A friend has a European parts import business, and uses nothing but Volvos for his delivery vehicles. Most of them 240's. He has two with over 500,000 miles on them, and one with about 450,000 on the clock. Nothing exotic as far as maintenance goes, just the regular stuff.
My '89 has close to 200K on it, and the 850 has 125,000, and both are still going strong.
Incidentally, the 4 speed with OD is considered a better tranny than the straight 5 speed.
I'd say go for it.
Here's the link to a good Volvo site.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/index.php

Jeff

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for all your support, yeah... something like that...

Funny thing, as I talked to the guy today he has had people turn him down because it's the standard transmission, we're so lazy here in North America...

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Oh yeah... A photo of course...

420795621_380043afb6.jpg

Full size view... https://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/420795621_f5e653d840_o.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Oh, yeah.........just think of how much camera gear you could haul in that baby.

I have a wagon, it is the most practical vehicle out there, performance, economy and handling of a sedan, hauling capacity (maybe a little more) of an SUV.

If you can afford it, then you should go for it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a 240DL wagon not twenty feet away... AutoMagic AISIN box, that's why it sits. Scrambled tranny. We've no interest in keeping it, ready to send it to a Tech School. I refuse to pull the trans and fix it. BLECH!

THAT one (manual box) would be used here daily, Sherlock!

Bugeye58

Yoda
One more item, James. I get about 24~25 MPG with my wagon. I'd get more if I kept my foot out of the turbo! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I've 99% decided to buy it, I've given him a deposit to hold it, and am going to run it through an inspection on Saturday, I'm quite certain it will do just fine in that inspection, in which case I will definitely purchase it

And no turbo to worry about to mess up with fuel economy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I think you've made a wise choice, James. I bought my wagon (my first Volvo,) in Sept, 2005. I'd driven many before but never owned one. After about a week, I thought to myself, "Why have I never owned one of these before?!" A really good car, and nearly British in a lot of respects. Easy to work on, reliable, and actually fun to drive. I bought the 850 Sedan last fall, and it gets the job done admirably. Too bad its an automatic, but I only paid 500 bucks for it. The owner was concerned about the high mileage on it, so he donated it to a local Fire Department, and took a $5000 tax write off. It was showing 196,000. He didn't realize the odometer reads in kilometers!! So, for $500, I got a car with only 122,500 miles on it. Thats <u>nothing</u> in Volvo years. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
By the way, turbos suck in the snow!
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]By the way, turbos suck in the snow![/QUOTE]

take note!...this from a seasoned racing car driver...
He ain't tellin' a lie! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Now I just need to to convince the people bankrolling the purchase (my sister and her husband), they went down the street to take a second look at the Volvo I was waxing poetic about and Frank is now less than enthusiastic, I think he thinks the bodywork is rougher than he'd care for (I suspect), or I don't know what's bothering him, he does have experience in buying old beater vehicles so I should give him credibility as well.

I still say it's a Volvo (read, known for reliability), bodywork issues can be dealt with, maybe I'm guilty of letting my heart lead too quickly before I think it through more, sound familiar to some of you potential LBC owners? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I just want a character car for once in my life... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif Okay, so I'm still totally impatient as ever in my life, one of my bad habits /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif However nothing happens without their approval

davelgee

Unless this car is totally rusted or not maintained AT ALL you should be OK. I have driven Volvos since the mid '60s and when my Alfas/Healeys/Triumphs/Vettes/etc. would not run, the Volvos always have! I have been stranded ONCE by a Volvo in all that time (sidelined by aftermarket points) and still use a '68 122s wagon as a frequent (if not daily) driver. It has at least 400K on it, I am told that the 240 series with the b21/23 is even more durable and certainly safer.
And it's a wagon - and it is a 4sp OD - and it's cheap!

Just my .02
Dave G.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
If the car passes the inspection then the rust is merely cosmetic. Perhaps if you agree to park it a couple down from the house ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Look Sherlock, very few people can break an anvil, and
a Volvo is the equivalent, I had a '74 264, injected I6,
the only thing that failed on that car was my sisters brain,
she drove it through a Winchels donut shop front window,
drugs and or alcohol may have had something to do with it...
but the car lived on... I still run into it every now and
then, as the couple who bought it live 3 miles from me, and
drive it regularly... Oh yeah, I sold it to them 21 years ago...

SteveL