• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - looking at new grocery getter: Volvo V70

RickB

Yoda
This is a 1999 wagon.
Getting it for very low price but has a couple mechanical issues.

First the ignition "is jury rigged". I haven't seen it but I guess he means the key ignition needs to be replaced, he said a mechanic quoted him $500 to replace it. I'm wondering how hard this could be to replace and couldn't I get a used replacement and swap it in?
Here's one on Ebay:
V70 Key Lock on Ebay

Second it's got the CEL with codes that "suggest transmission and exhaust sensor work is needed".

The exterior and interior of the car are immaculate so it's the kind of thing I don't mind spending a little on to bring it back to "normal". The owner assures me it runs perfectly, but I'd take it through the paces before buying.

We have owned Volvo's before and they have been great family cars, we need to get out of our 14 MPG van RIGHT NOW with the price of gas going up and my better half's predilection to giving everyone who asks a ride to where ever they want to go...

So - any help on the issues I described or maybe just thoughts about this sort of car, previously I've owned 122's and a 240 sedan so this would be a much newer Volvo for me. I've heard this was the first year for computer control on several systems and that makes me pause a bit.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
We need pics

Attachments

• 27949.gif
    27949.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 231
OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Funny, ok here it is:

5I85Gf5J33Ie3F73Ncc2j656890168ea81207.jpg

5I65V65Jf3F53L73Nac2j3fe8fe6a5c3319d5.jpg

5Ld5Fa5Md3Kf3M63F3c2j9d73d5e6829b18f7.jpg

5Ie5H15Ja3G23K13Hdc2j69d09b4af4b215c7.jpg

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I'll have to measure to make sure I can fit a Spridget one piece front clip in the cargo space like with our van.
Looks about the same width but you never know until you try.
:jester:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Looks nice but I can't offer any advice since the last Volvo I owned was a really sweet 544.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
A pal o' mine has a slightly newer version of this car. He had some codes that needed to be addressed to get through inspection, one of which was exhaust related. His turned out to need a new exhaust manifold. I'm told thats a common issue. (they crack where the branches meet the flex bit). I helped with the repair and it wasn't too bad. Not fun, but not bad. He got the part new on ebay for something around $150. (I think) Hope that helps...

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I already looked at exhaust parts on Ebay, assuming the worst of course.
The "race" stuff up there intrigues me I have to say.
I happen to live where there are never any inspections...

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
They drive well, handle well, are comfortable and safe as heck. They suffer from brain issues, fuel pump relay module failure, and various b.s. but are fairly sound otherwise. Check c.v. joints, timing belt/water pump service interval.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
elrey said:
They drive well, handle well, are comfortable and safe as heck. They suffer from brain issues, fuel pump relay module failure, and various b.s. but are fairly sound otherwise. Check c.v. joints, timing belt service interval.

I will check those, thanks!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rick
You could always buy an old Datsun 210 Wagon (with 4-speed manual) that is going to be for sale in a month or so......
BillM

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Heh if I was going that route I'd get "her" a Volvo 544!!

nomad

Yoda
Know some Volvo fans and they steer clear of the newer Volvo's that are front drive. The switch to front drive is there cut off point. Don't know why or if they are just that way!

Kurt.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
A bunch of people are telling me that something got into the kool-ade over at Volvo.

They have been using biodegradable plastics!
We looked at a car on Saturday (not the one in the pics) and I was appalled by the condition of the interior. This one was only 14 years old and all the buttons and other plastic things were breaking down.
I heard they even flirted with using these plastics in the wiring for a 'short' time.

Volvo to me is synonymous with longevity.
Apparently someone there decided that was a problem, not a benefit, and that they would be making cars more like paper plates and plastic cups.

I'm a bit disillusioned.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think Mercedes and maybe BMW did the same thing

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
My 1996 850 GLT estate lives outside here on the coast and the plastic is still hale and hearty. [The limo tint on all the rear windows may help.]

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Info that might be helpful:

"Volvo Cars was owned by AB Volvo until 1999, when it was acquired by the Ford Motor Company as part of its Premier Automotive Group. Geely Holding Group then acquired Volvo from Ford in 2010"

Your 1996 may be immune to a great many problems they developed later, however the 1998 car I looked at definitely had issues so they predate the takeover by Ford.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My first Volvo was an '82 242 Turbo bought brand new. I owed it until 2003. I never had any problems with it. I installed the factory intercooler kit myself as it was not available until '83. Probably the best car I ever owned. In 1987. I bought a new 740 Turbo wagon, due to growing family and their safety reputation. The cargo space was great and it had plenty of power to tow my trailer and Sprite. That's about all I can say good about it. It was the second worst car I ever owned, after the Vega. It was basically a car built from the parts bin. I'd never own another one after the 240 series. I replaced it with a '95 530Ti wagon. What a pig that car was, and it was one of the last of the well built ones. Also, many mid and late 90's cars had clearcoat issues. Before long, they look like crap if they live outdoors

Aggudabbu

nomad said:
Know some Volvo fans and they steer clear of the newer Volvo's that are front drive. The switch to front drive is there cut off point. Don't know why or if they are just that way!

Kurt.

That's because all Volvos had back wheel drive until Ford took over, so if you're a genuine fan it's not really a Volvo if it's a frontsie.. Ford made a lot of budget changes, so Volvo lost some of it's good reputation. Some claim that the last genuine Volvo produced was the 945 up to 1994 since there were some changes in the production and the companies they got some of there parts from so the quality was effected some.

Now about the V70,I'm not really to found of the earlier V70's I don't like how they look, and how it drives compared to the later models, but fortunately the earlier models up to -00 I think before they made all the model changes is really straight forward mechanical to work on and parts should be cheap and easy to source.