• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This doesn't happen in a Volvo

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I took Ruby Redcar out for a spin today, one of my favorite routes around the Palos Verdes peninsula. I pulled in to the whale-watch center at Point Vicente, a very pretty area with a historic lighthouse nearby. It's a nice place to stop for a stretch, which is necessary fairly often if you're six feet tall, sixty years old, with a problematical prostate (on second thought, let's not go there), and driving a Bugeye.

As I pulled into the parking lot, a photographer came up to me. He said that they were taking wedding pictures, and asked if he could photograph the couple in my car. Sure, I said, why not?

So, the couple squeezed into the Bugeye, tried to find some place to stuff the wedding gown, and spent about 10 minutes taking at least a bazillion pictures. The people in the wedding party had their cameras out as well, and were clicking away merrily.

I gave the photographer my business card and asked him to email me a copy of one or two pictures, which he readily agreed to do. I hope he doesn't forget. I almost brought my own camera with me, but decided at the last minute not to bring it--after all, it would probably just be something to worry about. I won't make that mistake again!

When it was all over, I drove off, with more clicking behind me, them thanking me, and me giving my best wishes to the happy couple. I'm still chuckling.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's cool!
Thanks for being so generous with your car, it helps keep this hobby alive for the young.

:winner1:

Dave :savewave:

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You're right, that wouldn't happen in a Volvo, unless it was a P1800 coupe. One of the benefits of having a newer phone is having a built-in camera for those moments.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very cool!

dklawson

Yoda
jhorton3 said:
You're right, that wouldn't happen in a Volvo, unless it was a P1800 coupe.

Or an 1800ES, or a P544, or...

I agree it wouldn't have happened with a 242 or later though!

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Good point about the P1800. Actually, I was indeed thinking of my kid's 242. Or, substitute Buick, if you wish.

It was funny watching the bridesmaids trying to squeeze the bride into the passenger side of the sprite. By time they got all of her puffy gown into the car, she looked like a marshmallow with a head sticking out of it.

I'm glad the photographer had the nerve to ask. I'm sure a lot of people would have huffed and gone on, but I think I got as much out of the experience as they did. Maybe more. Isn't it amazing how much appeal these cars still have, fifty years after they were created? If anything defines the term, "classic," that's it.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is something "approachable" about LBC's I think. Maybe because they are not full of pomp..or something. Generally, folks with LBCs are pretty down to earth, just like their cars!
Great story Steve.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Great story. I can just imagine that bride's dress filling most of the interior. Sounds like my cousin's story of taking his date to the senior prom in 57 in his Crosley Hotshot.

CraigZ

64rocksprite said:
There is something "approachable" about LBC's I think. Maybe because they are not full of pomp..or something. Generally, folks with LBCs are pretty down to earth, just like their cars!
Great story Steve.

Great story indeed...and I think there's more than a little truth in the 'approachable' factor. Sprites and Midgets are just so darn neat and unimposing. They're fun to look at...and the drivers tend to be regular guys like you said...I guess because our cars are affordable and haven't gone stratospheric in value.

G

yeah but they don't get any resperct either, be it on the road or parking lot. People walk up and start grabbing things and opening doors, putting finger prints allover the body, pulling out in front of you etc, blowing the horn for you to get out of their way....

I had one guy almost run me off the road because I passed him. If the car wasn't so small I'd have been in the ditch. When I pulled around front of him and stopped, he slowed down almost to a stop then speed up alittle bit and hit the back of my car.

That's why I keep my rubber bumpers on.

RickB

Yoda
... and hopefully some kind of protection under the seat ...

You never know out there on the road, lots of idiots and lots of crazys.
And a heck of a lot of crazy idiots!!

G

RickB said:
... and hopefully some kind of protection under the seat ...

You never know out there on the road, lots of idiots and lots of crazys.
And a heck of a lot of crazy idiots!!

screwwed up, see post below.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It took some time, but the photographer finally sent me some pictures. Even one of me, that he took on the way out. So, to finish the story, here they are...

Attachments

• 19300.jpg
    19300.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 19301.jpg
    19301.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 19302.jpg
    19302.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 313

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Those are great pictures!

G

So we got some converts now. Asian kids digging English cars. Maybe this'll start a trend. Looks like the Yakusa boss just got back from the prom.

The car fits you well!

I need to get the "proper" hat.

I don't think it'll look as good in a '79 though.

I need a BE.

Country flag
kellysguy said:
So we got some converts now. Asian kids digging English cars. Maybe this'll start a trend. Looks like the Yakusa boss just got back from the prom.

:iagree:

Yes, indeed, the Japanese drive on the left, too.

But can't say there's that the balance of trade is all that balanced.....