• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car doesn't like my shoes [Brake fluid in cockpit]

mgless

Country flag
I've sure been enjoying the Healey these last few days. We've had 80 degree weather in Wisconsin until today, which brought us back into the 40s.

Put about 100 miles on the car (approximate, as my tach and speedo apparently don't work.)

The car has ran flawlessly. Took it around town, on the highway, some twisties, and even 20 miles down the interstate.

I seem to be having some issues with the braking system, though. Firstly, I found fluid all over my shoes after a drive. It looks like it's on the front of the footwell and down onto the floormat. The brakes are still working fine, but I assume this is brake fluid coming out of the master cylinder or thereabouts.

The car was rebuilt last year, but I'm not sure all that was done to the brake system. Fluid is clean and clear. It looks slightly low under the filler cap. It's a 65, so it looks like it has the "dual" cylinder with clutch and brake. Do these use regular DOT 3 fluid?

Also found out that my brake lights aren't coming on.

So, I've been reading the workshop manual but I'm still not sure where to start. There's no troubleshooting for "My shoes are covered in brake fluid." /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sure sounds like the master cylinder all right. I understand that DOT 3 is all right and have always been told to never use DOT 5 in a LBC although it seems some do and have been happy with it. I think the safest thing is to stick with Castrol LMA. You night wait until you hear form one of our professional members though as far as checking what is in there now and what might be compatible or not. I do know that you can't mix DOT 3 with DOT 5 but not sure about LMA.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Can't remember, but the Bugeye as a fluid pressure switch located on a 4-way union on the inside of the right front fender. The switch screws into the top of the union. When I bought the Tunebug that switch had gone bad. I wound up having to replace the entire union, as I couldn't get the switch out of it.

I think the later cars still used this sort of switch (at least the ones with the combined master cylinder) but I could sure be mistaken.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Yes, you've got a master cylinder leak. It could be either side of the cylinder. Another possibility is that one of the lines is leaking at the cylinder connection. The good news is that these are the easiest of the masters to rebuild.
As to the brake lights, first check the obvious, such as the bulbs. If OK, proceed with the rest of the troubleshooting.
Check for power to the brake switch, and power across the switch when the brakes are applied. If the switch is bad, there is a standard generic switch available at your local NAPA store that works just fine. I'll see if I can dig up the part number this afternoon.
The switches have been known to merely gum up, and sometimes a couple of good spritzes with brake cleaner into the inlet port will restore their function.
Even if you have to rebuild the cylinder and replace the switch, the entire job should only need a short afternoon to get you back on the road. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif
Stick with LMA or DOT4 brake fluid. These both are compatible, and have a higher wet boiling point than DOT 3.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda
What Jeff said /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif !! I would add that if both brake lights are out, it is more likely the switch! Check both ends of the master for leaks! Look for a wet pushrod on the leaky culprit at the front (or a rubber capful of fluid)and check both lines at the rear for seepage! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Even if you have to rebuild the cylinder and replace the switch, the entire job should only need a short afternoon to get you back on the road. [/QUOTE]

Lucky. Rebuilding the dual circuit master is nightmare.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Isn't it nice Mr. Donald built in this system to let you know when the master cylinders started leaking. Kind of like an idot lite.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Car doesn't like my shoes [Brake fluid in cock

jlaird said:
Kind of like an idot lite.

...only WETTER... and get the fluid mopped up and water washed or your floorboard may end up stripped of paint quickly.

LMA is my "fluid of choice" for all street applications.

Bugeye58

Yoda

Well, what did you find out?
I checked on the switch tonight at my NAPA store, and the part number for the switch with spade terminals is SL 147. For the cars with the screw post type, it's SL 144. They're made by Standard / Echlin, and are good quality items. (I looked these up in the book myself, by the way, and can verify the numbers. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ) I ordered one each for my parts shelf, and will have to wait until Friday, as they have to come from the local warehouse. Both were in stock, and I would have had them tomorrow, but I was past the cutoff time for next day service.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda

DrEntropy said:
jlaird said:
Kind of like an idot lite.

...only WETTER... and get the fluid mopped up and water washed or your floorboard may end up stripped of paint quickly.

LMA is my "fluid of choice" for all street applications.

...AND slipperier!!... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

AweMan

Jedi Knight

And Kinda SMELLY too! AND that Brake Fluid will deffinately remove your paint.

Kerry

OP
M

mgless

Country flag

Okay, finally got a chance to check it out. Looks like there's fluid residue all over the "plate" underneath the MC. When I push on the lines going into the MC, I can actually see a little bit of fluid inside the nuts.

I put a wrench over the nuts, but they seemed pretty tight. Is there some sort of gasket or how do they attach?

I also ran a shop towel around the pushrods and they both seem to have some residue on them. Not sure how much is normal, but it didn't seem like much.

I wasn't sure where the brake switch was off hand, so I'll check that in a few.

Good comment about the paint. I got it off right away with some Windex -- paint in the cockpit is fine, but some of the paint came off in front of the MC.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag

The brake switch is a small rectangular thing with a thread just forward of the pedal box, couple of wires coming out of it, replaced mine twice in 1 year, ended up using one from an old Jag.
I just noticed some fluid at the top of my brake pedal too, so let please let us know what you're up against.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag

Hmm... I still can't seem to find it. I took a picture of the footwell, since either it's missing or I'm blind. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Also took some pics of the MC so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I might try and clean it up a little and have the wife push the pedals... see if I can see anything come out anywhere.

Pictures

Baz

Yoda
Country flag

Ohh, sorry. It's in the engine bay, forward of the cylinders. Top piece of the pedal box.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

This is the pressure switch from my Bugeye. Not sure if yours is the same.

brake_union_1.jpg

It is located on the right inner fender, nearish to where the coil is. Follow your brake lines and you'll find it. Should be 2 wires attached to the top

Baz

Yoda
Country flag

This little chap. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif
0900c83a95d2705549bac205ea3e4a740_large.jpg

Baz

Yoda
Country flag

Well, depending on your model year, it's either pic A or pic B!
Drew, my ticker just skipped a beat then, I was just wondering what on earth I had replaced twice!

OP
M

mgless

Country flag

Found it by following the brake lines... looks similar to the one in your Bugeye.

Found it!

I think I see the hole that was mentioned earlier, just above the left wire. I'll try squirting some brake cleaner in there.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag

No go on cleaning the switch...

I'll stop by NAPA tomorrow and order a new one and pick up some LMA fluid. Hopefully I can get SOMEthing figured out tomorrow. Then back to the re-upholstering job I was intending on doing this week. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for the help so far. You guys are great.