• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

UH OH! Pinion flange nut?

Morris_Dayton

Freshman Member
Hello, I'm new to this site. I'm in the process of restoring my wifes late grandfather's 77'MGB. I've ran into a little problem. I'm afraid if I proceed I may do some damage.

I marked the nut and shaft. I removed it very carefully and counted the turns,11 1/4. I then went throught the declunking and wheel bearing process. I went to reinstall the flange nut and at 11 1/4 turns it was not tight. I'm using a regular 1/2'' ratchet and it was turning very easily. I backed it all the way off and started again, still the same thing. When I pulled on the flange, with the angle iron attached that I used to hold the flange, I could feel a slight bit of play. I thought maybe I had miss counted a turn on removal so I continued on to 12 1/4 turn. The play seems to be gone but the nut is not what I'd call tight at all. Maybe 15 lbs torc.
What should I do? Oh yeah, this is a 77'.
I removed the nut to replace the seal by the way. Maybe I should have retightened It before preceding on to the other rear axle issues. I don't think that would effect it though.
Thanks

Steve_S

Yoda
Torque it to spec and don't worry about it. You may have miscounted so your safest bet is to use factory spec. They usually don't end up in EXACTLY the same place anyway. You just want to make sure you don't "over crush" the crush spacer.

Steve_S

Yoda
Factory spec on the pinion nut is 140 lbs/ft.

I suggest getting a copy of the factory manual. Haynes doesn't really cover everything.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Steve is right, get a copy of the Bentley manual. It is expensive, but I have found that it was a worthwhile investment. I use my Haynes manual all the time, but the Bentley does seem to have things the other doesn't cover.

There are two manuals, depending on the year car you have. Here is a link for the later model cars

https://www.amazon.com/1975-1980-Bentley-...6247&sr=8-5

Steve_S

Yoda
People complain about $50 for a book all the time. I look it as $50 to have all the information the factory has to offer about servicing your car. That's incredibly cheap, yet invaluable, in my opinion.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
iagree.gif
$50.00 is a very fair price for the Bentley manual! I paid over $100.00 for the manuals for my, then new, 93 Chevy pick up in 1993 and their only for that model and that year. But, they were worth every penny!