• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Diff pinion nut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Replaced the pinion seal on the diff, and I can't get that nut tightened back up to spec (140ft-lb). I've got it back in the car now, hoping the hand brake would hold it, no dice. Any ideas?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You need a long steel bar that you can secure to two of the bolt holes. It needs to be long enough to be braced against your floor. It can be braced against the chassis, but I prefer to use the ground. A long piece of Superstrut/Unistrut works well, but some flat bar stock or angle iron will work too.

Even using a single hole with the bar leveraged against your socket will work.

Here's another approach - pic from the MGE library.

differential-tool.jpg

Replaced the pinion seal on the diff, and I can't get that nut tightened back up to spec (140ft-lb). I've got it back in the car now, hoping the hand brake would hold it, no dice. Any ideas?

Last edited:

nomad

Yoda
Do you want to go back to 140'#? Are you crushing a new sleeve? Are you checking bearing preload? When I've done it in the past I never went quite back to the original spec's just to be safe.

Kurt.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the tips.

I went to just under 140 -- not a new crush sleeve. I did make my own BMC-approved special service tool out of 4' of angle iron from my local ACE hardware. Drilled 2 holes and ground off a little so it would bolt on. I guess I now have a tool for next time. "That's not scrap metal, that's a carefully calibrated tool!" :grin:

Car is buttoned up now, just need to do an oil change and general servicing and the Morris will be ready for another year.

P

Paul McGuffin

Jack the rear of the car up, place wood blocks under the rear wheels, lower back down onto the blocks. Naturally, the higher the better. Maybe you can get it tight enough without moving the car off the blocks.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I did have the car up on blocks, but it still would move the wheels when I tried to tighten the nut. Adding my 4' long "special service tool" (angle iron bolted to the flange) did the trick.

... though it still leaks from that spot. No worse than before, but no better. Ah well, I'll just keep an eye on the level for now. Some day I'll pull the whole axle out for a good cleaning and suspension rebuild and I'll deal with it then.

nomad

Yoda
Drew, it can leak down the splines on the yoke. Late now but some sealer there is a good idea.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You should be fine Drew - this conversation was had years ago (and I did the same) 140 lb. is for a new crush sleeve - about 1/2 that is fine for a new seal.

P

Paul McGuffin

Drew, I meant the wheels sitting on the wood blocks. Is that what you did?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, I meant the wheels sitting on the wood blocks. Is that what you did?

I did do that, didn't work -- even with the car's weight on the wheels and the hand brake on the wheels would still move. Bolting a 4' long piece of angle iron to the flange did the trick. Now I have the tool handy for the next one I need to do for the Bugeye.

P

Paul McGuffin

Glad to hear that wood block didn’t work. I have a “clonk” in my rear diff. when I shift gears. Sounds like rear U-joint, but they are both new. I was going to try tightening it down with the car on blocks. Your try saved me the effort.