• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

U-joint kerplooey!

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
It always happens on those beautiful days when you just want to be <span style="font-style: italic">driving</span>...

Zipped over to the local Pep Boys for my half-year purchase of Castrol in various weights, in preparation to Drain That Which Is Drainable.
<span style="color: #996633"><span style="font-style: italic">(Just realized my Castrol gear oil is GL5, not GL4; but that's a gripe for another thread.)</span></span>
On the way home, I noticed that my tranny seemed to be rattling, when coming to a stop in neutral. It sounded like a ringing metallic coming from underneath the shifter. Having visions of layshaft bits floating in my oil, I zip on home, and before changing the oil, I jack up a rear wheel and give it a spin. <span style="font-style: italic">Clank, clank, clank...</span> I gave it a little wobble. (<span style="font-style: italic">clankclank.</span>) It didn't seem to be spinning the tranny when it clanked, like there was some slop in the line.

And sloppy drivelines mean u-joints.

I reached in and felt the rear one. Seemed solid; nothing rattling or clanking. I squeezed under further, and shoved my hand up the Hole-O-Grime in the tunnel. Yep. Just floatin' around in there. Has a cap disappeared? Have my needle bearings ground themselves into dust? Dunno, can't tell. But the two halves of the yoke seem to be only marginally acquainted with each other.

This <span style="font-style: italic">should </span>be a really easy job. Eight bolts and out. And If John Twist can do one in five minutes, I should be able to do one in about an hour. :wink:

Except I don't have a bench vise or a press. Anyone ever tried doing a u-joint with a C-clamp? What's the quick-and-dirty procedure for changing a u-joint with a BFH?

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just take it slow, and make sure the retaining caps come out straight. Mine didn't and plowed the metal inside the hole into ridges. I didn't know if I could get them reamed and not have a problem. I was lucky someone here on the forum had a spare. Those circlips that hold the cups in are a bit of a pain. I think I broke three and pried out the bits with a small flat blade screwdriver.