• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mazda fun - CV joint?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
2000 Mazda Protege.

Runs fine ... but about a month ago I noticed a "clicking" when I'd slow down from cruise. Clicking happens only after the car is warmed up and has been driven a few miles.

Happens whether or not I use the brakes, but once warm, happens *always* when I slow down. Clicking speed slows as car slows. Happens whether or not the engine is running. Always gets louder if I apply the brakes.

And today's new facet: the clicking now occurs when I turn right (not left) while going about 30 mph, whether using the brakes or not.

I've heard that CV joint boots will crack, and let grease out (and crud in). Result: clicking from "front end". But why would the clicking get louder when I apply the brakes? And friend riding along swears the clicking is coming from rear of car.

Is this a symptom of impending CV joint failure?

I've pulled the rear wheels and brake drums. Found nothing; cleaned and re-installed. No change. Still "clicks" when warm and slowing. Put car on jack stands, spin the wheels, no clicking anywhere.

No looseness in wheels - no evidence of wheel bearing problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Tom

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Sometimes the inner CVs are a little dry, and they can click too. Is the car manual or auto? What happens in neutral, or with clutch depressed? You also might check for rust on edge of rotors, rusty/pitted areas on rotors. The pads hit them once per revolution of the wheels...What do the CV boots look like? Reman and sometimes new axles are usually available for around 150.00 (sometimes much less)It is hard to duplicate most noises on FWD cars without the weight of the car on them. Look for obvious damage/worn parts, and if all else fails, try the local garage. Take the tech for a test drive and see what they think.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jesse - thanks for the suggestions.

Car is manual 5-speed. No change iin neutral, or with clutch depressed.

I did clear off some chunks/flakes of rust on the rear drums and front rotors, but no change in the "clicks". That clicking sound doesn't happen at all when the car is cold (parked overnight). I have to drive it about 10 minutes, using the brakes on and off, and then the clicking starts.

The more I use the brakes, the louder the "click" gets; the *harder* I press the brake pedal, the louder the click sound gets. I assume the more brake use, the warmer things get, and some expansion may be occuring somewhere. And just to make this more fun (!) I can hear the click when making a right turn (not a left turn), whether using the brakes or not ... but only after the car has been driven and the brakes/suspension are "warmed up".

R/L CV boots, both inner and outer, are tight and unbroken.

Weird.

thanks.
Tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
'tiz weird. A 'possible' is a brake pad dancing in the caliper. Usually a CV joint will click on turning and load but stop when brakes are applied. Can't recall any I've heard get louder with brake application... but I haven't a ton of experience with Mazda's set-up, either.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is just a thought, but Honda had a similar problem with the rear drum brakes.
Where the shoes slide on the backing plate, it would get dry. As the drums where not 100% round, they would create noise. If you lube the
Three sliding points on each shoe, it may cure your noise.
Just a thought, and sure cheaper than replacing parts.
Hope this helps.

Dave :savewave:

R

RonMacPherson

Acura also had a problem with the caliper sliding pins generating a clicking sound. See if Mazda has an update for the caliper pins. If not remove and pack them with a good high temp grease.

jaegzie

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
also if you want to check on the mx6.com site, I believe these are very similar in setup to the 626s. I am a member on here for my probe gt and searching on here might give quite a few answers, There are a lot of brake swaps and cv issues with these cars, i know I have had my share. Check it out it may be a good place to look.