• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn signals on, won't flash

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I've had this problem before, but it cured itself. The lamps illuminate, and the friendly green arrow on the dash does too, but that's all, they just stay on. I can't figure out what cured it last time, or why it's doing it again.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
The hazards flash so I know that flasher unit is OK, odd? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight
you have 2 flasher units.. check the one up under the dash on the passenger side...suprise ; )
my blinker wacked out the other day because a bulb wasnt seated.......zziimmmy

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Zimmy,
I tried a new flasher unit there, same symptoms, cleaned the connectors and all that, same symptoms. Bulbs are all fine, even discovered in addition to the grn/prp wire, I have one grn wire in it, and one grn wire hanging around in nowhere land, tried that one too, same symptoms.
All the usual suspects are covered.
I've been putting off the inevtible wiring work, but this 'mind of it's own' wiring is getting old! I keep asking myself "why?" and the only answer I can ever come up with is, "Because it's Lucas, it just does."

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
You also neew to check the bulbs for good connections because if the bulbs don't make good ground the they will light but not blink (they aren't fully bright, don't draw enough current, don't heat up the bi-metal in the blinker can, don't blink)
Bill

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Again, second time in 5 weeks, they miraculously came to life again. Thinking of a rewire this winter anyway, it's crazy.
Thanks all.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No it's not, you have a bad ground.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There aren't that many wires in the car, so it would just take going around to each connection and check all the grounds. Can't imagine it would take more than an evening to go through them all. As mentioned on the BCF in other threads, I'm a big advocate of the rewire, but cleaning all the connections should do the trick if the wires are otherwise in good shape.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I do agree, I have had success cleaning connectors, and in some cases putting new paddles on with a little bit of grease. Of all the things I've done to this car, electrics makes the least sense and is by far the most frustrating.
I have new carpet and panels on my list in the cold months, would make sense with all that stuff out to run a new loom.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like a good plan. Wiring is a good winter project.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
there should be a ground wire bolted to the body behind the liscense plate...the tail lights are grounded by the body..the wires in the trunk are vulnerable and could be pulled loose by stuff in the trunk, etc.....zzimmy