• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tube shock conversion kit?

cl_miata

hey there everyone, well yesterday I had my top leaf spring break in half, and now today the rear drivers wheel is hitting the wheel well. I ordered and overnighted the $200 tube shock conversion kit from moss and wanted to know if anyone has had any experince with these and as to how long it takes to install since I probably wont be sleeping friday night so i can have the car ready for the dream cruise.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Are you fixing the spring? If so, that could take a while if the car is rusty.

If you're just putting on the shocks, it should be a few hour job.

OP
C

cl_miata

well I guess a good question would be that by a conversion kit, wouldnt that be removing the spring and replacing with the shock?

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
cl_miata said:
well I guess a good question would be that by a conversion kit, wouldnt that be removing the spring and replacing with the shock?

Nope. You still use the leaf spring......only now you have a tube shock instead of a lever shock. If your leaf spring is broken you will still have to address that even after installing the tube shocks.

OP
C

cl_miata

well it would seem that after installing the tube shock that the new shock itself would provide support for the wheel instead of just relying of the worn out springs?

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unfortunately you still need that spring in tact. Where was the break? Was it one of the leaves in the spring, or a mount? To drive the car safely the spring needs to be repaired. Shocks, whether the old lever style or the new tube conversion aren't going to be a substitute.

OP
C

cl_miata

the break was on the top leaf, almost in the middle, when moss says that it is a conversion kit I assumed it ment from leaf spring suspension to modern shocks, and it is to late to order a new leaf spring from them and have it by me by saturday morning, the whole reason I bought this car is for saturday and it looks like all is lost. the local spring shop cant even help me. moss should be a little more descriptive. $80 for overnight shipping wasted also i guess

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Brian - did you stop in at John R Spring? I had them rearch mine for a nominal fee - I am betting they could whip something up for you or repair what you have.

I wouldn't mess with the top leaf broken. If I remember correctly, the top leaf is the attachment point to the vehicle. I'd refrain from driving it until it's fixed.

Also, no - the shock won't support.

OP
C

cl_miata

I called them and they were very reluctant they could do anything for me, but since they have for you, you know the first thing im going tomorrow morning.

OP
C

cl_miata

Well, thing is that he is in Wisconsin, I need this done by tomorrow night/saturday morning

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Brian, first of all a shock absorber is not a unit that will support the weight of the car unless it's a specal "coil over" shock unit which mounts a coil spring around the body of a shock absorber. The Moss kit won't get you on the road unfortunately. You need a new main leaf or spring and that's about the only way you're going to get it running for the cruise. I doubt that unless you can find someone local with a spare spring that you'll make it. I'm not sure where Warren is in relation to Holland but I'd bet the guys at Eclectic Motorworks would have a spring for your car, I'd give them a call https://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/ or try University Motors in Ada. John has closed up the business, but he still might be able to find a spring for you. https://www.universitymotorsltd.com/

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
cl_miata said:
Well, thing is that he is in Wisconsin, I need this done by tomorrow night/saturday morning

You could try Engel Imports in Kalamazoo. On the other side of the state, but. (800)253-4080 They certainly will have them, and they have the proper shocks :smile:

Peter

A shock and spring are tow different things that perform two different functions. Wished you had ask us here forst, because we would have told, get new spring and let Peter fix you up with rebuild lever shocks, definately the preferred way to go.

OP
C

cl_miata

Yeah i wish i had asked here first also...but instead of losing the $80 for shipping I suppose i will just keep them and use them in the future