• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TRF MAGIC CLUTCH KIT

LoneRanger

Sure it's been discussed before, but would like to get some updated input on replacing the clutch on a '75 TR6. Current one is most likely the original with 75k miles. Going to put an OD in and the recommendation is to replace the clutch, while I'm in there.
Heard some good things about TRF's item and wondering if going with the Gunst T/O bearing is a good idea and if it "mates" up with the PP, etc, CORRECTLY. Or is the Koyo or RHP bearing is the way to go. Looking for the best combination that will prevent removing the tranny every 6 months.

Thanks!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My personal opinion, unless there is a problem, leave the current pressure plate and TOB alone; have the friction plate relined instead of replaced. 95% of TR6 clutch problems are caused by poor quality (or flat-out wrong) aftermarket parts. You have parts that you know are good; no sense in replacing them with parts that may or may not be as good.

Eg,
https://www.vtr.org/maintain/clutch-laycock.pdf
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ReleaseBearing/ReleaseBearingWoes.htm

If you do use the Gunst or Koyo, be sure to also install the kit that <span style="text-decoration: line-through">disables the automatic adjustment feature</span> increases the preload. The "heavy duty" bearings <span style="text-decoration: line-through">are not compatible</span> take more force to keep them turning when not using the clutch.

PS, I use a stock TR6 clutch in my TR3, and I've never had any problems with it. It's lighter than the original TR3 setup and my alloy flywheel wasn't drilled for the TR3 clutch anyway. The friction surface on the flywheel is wearing a bit faster than I would like, but the clutch looked fine when I moved it from the TR3A with at least 50,000 miles on it. However, since I'm still using the TR3 slave cylinder, I also kept the return spring and adjustment.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I installed the Koyo bearing and a Kevlar disc and new Pressure plate, but I only have 600 miles on it since the engine rebuild, so far no issues

Hondo

OP
L

LoneRanger

Thanks TR3 Driver, I thought about leaving some things alone, especially if the after market stuff doesn't fit and/or work correctly.

Really bothers me that they even sell parts that don't fit or are not compatible.

Saw the 2 links prior, thanks for sharing those.

Who sells the kit that disables the automatic adjustment feature??

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have the TRF Magic Kit with the Koyo and it is great, after nearly 4 years. My experience with the Gunst bearing (albeit using the B&B PP, which is NOW a known No-NO, but wasn't then) was far from satisfactory and so was Mr. Gunst's attitude when I finally tracked him down to complain about pulling the transmission three times for a noisy and badly worn PP9s) & bearing(s).

The story and pictures are here: https://www.74tr6.com/clutchreplacement.htm

Randall, I never heard of this kit either. Where can I find out more info?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, my mistake. Apologies to everyone, especially Joachim Gunst. What he supplies is a spring to increase the preload force, rather than eliminate it. That leaves the "automatic adjustment" intact.

RBKit.JPG

The issue is that the factory TOB is a special free-turning design that is intended to ride against the pressure plate fingers and turn all the time. There is a light spring in the slave cylinder that pushes lightly against the linkage and TOB. However, the various "heavy duty" bearings (which I'm told includes the Koyo in the Magic Clutch) take more force to turn and therefore don't always keep turning. The result ranges from an annoying squeal all the time, to a ruined pressure plate.

Wear.jpg

(Above images courtesy Buckeye Triumphs)

OP
L

LoneRanger

Thanks for the response. Sounds like the Gunst is <span style="text-decoration: underline">now</span> a valid way to go??

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
If you look at the pictures on my site you will see that the Gunst bearing with the spring pull back did exactly what Randall shows to two B&B pressure plates. I would never install a Gunst with B&B PP and I'm not so sure that I would use it with a LUK either.

I am happy with my Magic Kit and Koyo and just for the record, my TR8 makes a noise and I have a brand new clutch, PP and T/O bearing in that too. Not a squeal, just a noise when the clutch is engaged. It sounds just about like the TR6 does.

MichaelG

I am very pleased with the Magic Clutch kit, and installed it with a TR6 gearbox/OD kit from Quantum Mechanics in my 4A

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
I have had the Sachs/Koyo kit from BPNW in the 6 for two years with no issues. Personally, I wouldn't go the Gunst route.