• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ordering from TRF

Tugboat

Country flag
I have been ordering parts from the Roadster Factory off and on for twenty years but am to the point of giving up on the website. Owning both a TR3A and an MGA I try to use Moss (and others) for the latter and TRF for the former but Charles makes it so hard. Perhaps I am missing a trick. I would truly appreciate if any of you could advise if there are shortcuts to finding parts at TRF as I simply can't spend the time on the website any longer. For example, I need to purchase the engine grounding strap discussed a few weeks ago on these pages but a search of the TRF website turns up nothing. How would you go about locating this item at TRF (which I am sure has it)?

Thank you

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I've wound up placing all my TRF orders by phone. They have a lot more parts than are in the web-catalogue. Even they have trouble finding them sometimes...Randall seems to know what they have better than they do!!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'll say this as carefully as I can: TRF is one of my favorite vendors, but their web site is NOT one of my favorite web sites. :laugh:

That said, a bit of research to get part numbers beforehand makes ordering via the web site very easy. Otherwise, as others have noted, calling is the way to go...especially if you have any doubts about part numbers (and their supercessions or translation from Triumph to -- say -- Lucas/Girling part number).

I will also give TRF credit for being very accommodating. Case in point: this past spring I submitted an order and almost immediately realized I'd forgotten an item. I sent an e-mail explaining that I'd like to add such-and-such a part to the order and quickly heard back that all would be taken care of. It was, and the order arrived in a couple of days.

OP
Tugboat

Tugboat

Country flag
Thank you Andrew (and CJD),

What is the best way to find the part number? As I hoped was clear from my initial post, I want to use TRF, and for all of the right reasons. I value its demonstrated commitment over the long haul. Price is really not an issue if I can get a given part from TRF, unless I have to spend hours trying to find the part on the TRF website.

Sounds like I need to start using the telephone more.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The main trick is to get a copy of the Triumph factory spare parts catalog. TRF uses the factory part numbers (or at least has them cross-referenced).
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2H2NJt...Y4&hl=en_US

But there are other ways as well. For example, to find the engine grounding strap, I just went to the database search and selected 'TR3' 'ELECTRICAL' and 'EARTH' (knowing British is a distinct advantage as well :laugh: )

Attachments

• 26370.jpg
    26370.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 500

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PS, I always order from their web site. While they certainly have people who know the cars very well; sometimes the folks who answer the phones aren't quite as familiar. And as long as I have the correct part number, the web site seems to work quite well for me.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
TR3driver said:
The main trick is to get a copy of the Triumph factory spare parts catalog. TRF uses the factory part numbers (or at least has them cross-referenced).
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2H2NJt...Y4&hl=en_US

:iagree:

Everyone should have a factory spare parts catalog for their car and I love that TRF uses the original part numbers.

Scott

G

No matter who I deal with,I always use the phone,and stay with the same person to build up a little 1 on 1 relationship. They will get to know you. That's why VB is always my last resort. I always get the feeling like Im talking to Peggy in Siberia on the credit card commercial when talking to someone with a head set.Mid West cornfield or Siberia. Not too personal. OH! NO! Not Retraining!

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
John_Malinick said:
Mid West cornfield

I could find this statement very offensive. I would bet you would get much better service from a person in a corn field than you would someone in a strip mall in New York City.

Rich who is sitting in the middle of a bean field this year. Next year it will be corn.

G

Lighten up.My experiences with some suppliers over 40 years have varied by a wide margin.I really dont think you want to bring the boys in NYC into the mix. By the way,Not many strip malls in NYC.Property is too expensive. Build up. Not out. Like a cornfield?

tr250tr3a

Freshman Member
I've been dealing with Charles Runyan since he was selling TR parts out of his apartment in Johnstown, PA. Back then he had a little add in the classified section of Sports Car Graphic and Road & Track. John is a true TR enthusiast and anglophile and quite eccentric at times. I see him every few years and always needle him about his catalogs. He just smiles and reminds me of the old days. TRF is always my first choice for anything TR, unless it is unusual or specialized or if I must have NOS. That said, I find their on-line catalogs extremely difficult to use, and because of this, almost always order by phone. Some of you may recall that TRF was the last big supplier in the USA to offer a toll free order line! I don't mind this at all because it gives me an opportunity to chat with Dave or John!

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have ordered from them a bunch and before I had the spare parts catalogue....sometimes my descriptions required the tier 2 support....probably from my sad description....but always got the right item. I can't say I have put them all on the car just yet but I have a lot of invoices to look at.

So far so good.

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have the utmost respect for TRF. However, the website search engine is rather useless. Unless you know the Stanpart # or the RFK #. I use the parts catalogue for my TR4 and the TRF green and blue assembly manual for the TR6. Without these I would be lost on the TRF site.
Tim

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As one of the younger Triumph enthusiasts (I'm 40) I think that TRF will face marketing challenges attracting new enthusiats as customers. You older guys who remember how it used to be (You know, catalogs with seperate price lists etc.), are both nostalgic, and patient. Younger folks, like in their 20s, have no patience for things like the TRF website.

I support TRF's right to do whatever they want with their business, but I think they really need to invest in a little market research to aid their business plans for the next decade.

Happy Labor Day!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I guess I am the odd man out... I gave-up ordering parts from them a couple of years ago even though they are only about 4 hours from me. I find I get better service without all the "game playing" on their specials. Obviously it's just my experience and lots of others are completely satisfied and that's a good thing!