• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission leak or overfill? 1098cc engine

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
In my 66 sprite, I used the same oil in the gearbox as my engine (15w40 Shell diesel oil.)

I drained the transmission, and it was completely dry after having sat for 20 years. I have no idea if the previous owners drained it or not, so all I could do was fill it back up. I filled it at the access panel in the driver's side footwell. Figuring I had no good way to measure the amount, I just filled it til it overflowed and let it all run out before replacing the plug.

Lo and behold, there's a massive rusty oil puddle under my car now. I see that the specified capacity is 1.3L (1.37 quarts) and I have no idea how much oil I put in there. Probably closer to two quarts in all honesty.

So... if I AM leaking, it seems to be coming from the transmission side plate panel. If I just overfilled it and it's finding its way out of some other spot, that's fine too.

But, if I'm leaking out of the side plate, can I just put the car on jackstands, drain out the oil, clean everything well, and RTV it back into a sealed state??

If so, is there any sort of instructions for doing this without breaking anything?

Thanks!

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
It is tough to get to but the side cover can be removed with the transmission in the car. There should be a thin paper gasket to seal it. I don't use any sealer on this cover, both because it would make it hard to remove later and there are two springs for the detent balls that I'd be leery about getting RTV into. If you do use RTV use it sparingly. By any chance was the rear of the car up when it leaked? There is only a scroll seal on the 1st motion shaft and if it is worn oil can leak there and drain from the hole at the bottom of the bell housing.

bugimike

Yoda
Also if jacked up at the front, the rear tranny seal can leak oil out too! the only other places a tranny will leak from are the side cover and rear extension gasket (though this is rare!), and of course the drain plug!. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Educate me pls, one of the detents is low, the forward one I think. What is the other??

Hmm, rusty oil puddle, good to have that stuff out. Do it again and see if you get more rust and such, might as well get as much as possible out.

Autozone and such sell a small pump that goes on a quart oil container, has a hose on it also. Just right for filling the tranny.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Oddly enough, I did have the rear of the vehicle jacked since I was getting new tires put on the rear wheels!

I'm going to warm up the transmission and drain this oil anyway because it is RUSTY. It looks like mud.

The transmission works alright, minus the zzzzip you get shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I'm hoping that will subside as I get the fluids moving.

I need to throw down cardboard after another change of fluids to see what's going on.

bugimike

Yoda
the lower detent is for 3-4 gear and the upper is for 1-2 gear if I recall correctly! The reverse plunger goes in from the bottom!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, the front one is 1 and 2 gear, now I am sure what my shifting problem is.

That detent was frozen solid when I worked on the tranny and obviousy I did not get it a free as I should have, excellent. An easy fix while the engine is out.

I had to remove that shift arm and tap the detent inward all the way till it came out to get it free, guess which detent is going to be smooth and super clean this time.

It is a gold box tranny that had set for no telling how many years and was tight as a tick because of that. 3rd and 4th are great and sincros show 0 wear, not even a skuff mark on them or the gears. And yes I did put a new rear seal on and new gaskets.

bugimike

Yoda
Good on you Jack!! You should feel the difference for sure with everything "freed-up" and moving as it should in there!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Think hard!! What else can be double checked while you have the engine out!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looks like it has started, the restoration of Miss Agatha 2007-2008. hehe, told ya I was going to redo her once I got her completed.

bugimike

Yoda
Yeah, I just chuckled when you pronounced her "done"!!! They are in a constant state of restovation!!