• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tranny/Overdrive leak

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, spent a good deal fo time working on the Healey this past week. While under tha car, I noticed that the tranny is dripping from the rear. The oil is dripping off the rear mount that prevents forward movement of the engine, and also from the area right under the overdrive/tranny interface. I'm notsure where it is coming from, I just know where it is dripping from.

I'm not talking about a lot. It has been sitting in the same spot for about six months and the "wet" area on the floor is about three inches around and not deep. Just oily on the surface. Of cours, the car isn't being used, so I don't know how much worse it will be when I am driving it.

This is very discouraging as I now have the entire tranny tunnel and center console installed. I thought I'd ask the board how bad this is and what right solution is. Is this "normal" or is any leaking from the tranny/OD a problem.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have leaks at every joint. The amount of oil you describe is infinitesimal. I wonder if it would leak more if you drove it more often. My solution has been to refill the oil as needed. The alternative is to remove the transmission and take it apart and replace gaskets and add sealants like Hylomar on all the mating surfaces. I'm sure folks with more expertise will respond soon.

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
see my earlier post "footpowder finds overdrive leak". It could just be the seal by the overdrive lever going. Tends to flow aft before dripping. Also check for loose nuts securing overdrive to tranny. What you are describing really isn't a problem. I keep a drip pan under my car.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since you already have everything installed maybe you could just check the tightness of OD to tranny nuts (8). Also check the tightness of the large OD drain. Wipe everything down and check the next day.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure there was anything I could do with the OD and tranny still in the car, other than find the source of the leak. I'll wipe it all down and then see if I can find the source.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is a map of my oil leaks. This was photographed after only a few days of sitting after having been driven. I did install a rear main seal and put in a new seal in the front of the transmission (back of the bellhousing. It still leaks, but probably less than before.

HealeyOilLeaks.jpg

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
Tim,

If you want to find the leak, wipe the tranny and engine bottom clean. Spray with footpowder, drive around the block slowly and check. The foot powder leaves a white residue so you can immediately identify where the leak is coming from. The drip on the floor pattern doesn't tell the story. My leak was over 12" away.

Country flag
My guess would be to look at the timing chain cover for the leaks. The rest could be blow-by if you changed the rear seal. Foot powder will tell.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
TimK said:
Here is a map of my oil leaks. This was photographed after only a few days of sitting after having been driven. I did install a rear main seal and put in a new seal in the front of the transmission (back of the bellhousing. It still leaks, but probably less than before.

HealeyOilLeaks.jpg

There is a hole (at the bottom of the bell housing, in the front of the transmission that is supposed to give the oil leaking from the front seal to drain. Is that where it's leaking?

Another common area is from the crank seal at the rear, or even from the engine backing plate. Oil is circulated around the rear of the cam shaft at the rear of the engine. Oil leaking from there will run down the backing plate on the engine side. It's hard to really tell if the oil is coming from the joint at the backing plate, or from the oil pan gasket. But you don't have a lot of oil in the front, mostly in the back. Did you check around the drain hole for the OD?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI "Legal Bill" you hear what "TIM K" had to say he has put you on the right track a small leak like that only needs to be monitored periodically to insure it does not become larger. However, you may want to take the foot powder leak detector method to locate the sources to monitor .Fwiw--Keoke

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Keoke, it's good to hear from you again. Especially when you endorse something I suggest :smile: .

Country flag
:yesnod: I have 3 Healeys, and I have 3 drip pans! (one big healey, two sprites)