• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Engine Noise Up-date

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TR3 Engine Noise Update

Aloha All,

Back in February I posted a request for help in determining a possible source for a intermitent rhythmic knocking noise in the engine of my TR3. I received lots of help in isolating and determining possible sources but was unable to pin point a source of the noise. After a few weeks I decided I needed to open up the engine to find out what was happening. My reasoning was that bearings are much cheaper than a crank shaft.

My son has a TR3 that is undergoing a body renovation so he offered me the use of his engine while I checked out my engine. A project we thought would probably take about two weekends to complete. Wrong, although if we only did that the estimate would have been correct. With the engine removed it seemed like a good idea to rebuild the steering gear box. We also took the opportunity with some of the body panels removed to take a few more off and repair some rust issues. In any case, after about two and half months the car is now back on the road. We were bitten by that dreaded "shipwright" disease.

I have started tearing down my engine. I figure I can install new main and rod bearing, check rings and valve, timing sprockets and chain, oil pump, etc. and refresh the engine. Draining the oil pan revealed a trace of brass/bronze colored fillings. Dropping the oil pan I found several large bits of bronze colored non ferrous metal. I assume these are the remnant of a thrust washer, but any help identifying these bits would be appreciated. Here is photo of the bits.

Attachments

• 21726.jpg
    21726.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 383

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: TR3 Engine Noise Update

I am afraid those bits are ground up a little too small for any ID other than "ick." If I found that in my sump, I'd be getting out the rest of my wrenches for more tear-down-and-look.

Thrust washers in TR3s are steel and babbit. No yellow metal in 'em.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Moseso said:
Thrust washers in TR3s are steel and babbit. No yellow metal in 'em.
Actually, I believe the originals did have a layer of copper between the babbit and steel.

But those fragments still don't look like crankshaft thrust washers to me. I'm wondering if perhaps they are from the brass bushing that carries the distributor and oil pump drive shaft in the block.

Any chance of a larger photo?

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Aloha Moses & Randall,

The piece do look like they had been round at one time, like a bushing. Perhaps you are correct Randall about it being a bushing for the oil pump and distributor shaft. Here is an enlargement of the pieces:

Attachments

• 21728.jpg
    21728.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 344

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

How about the gears for the gear drive on the distributor, color is good and if someone shoved it in there without shins they will knock for a while before this happens. ???

Wayne

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

The gears are steel on a TR3. And if someone left out the shims in the distributor pedestal (and they were needed), then the brass bushing I mentioned would be the likely weak link (it's also the thrust surface for the driven gear on the oil pump/distributor shaft)

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Aloha Randall,

I've driven this car about 50000 miles since 1999 when I bought it without any engine problems. Before I removed the engine the only apparent cause for concern was an unusual noise that was at first intermittent but over about a month became more constant. Oil pressure indicated at the gauge was normal for the car, about 50 PSI at speed and 30 PSI at idle. The distributor also seemed to be operating well and the engine idled smoothly at about 750 RPM. No doubt I will need to continue to dismantle the engine to find the source of these bits. I let everyone know what I find.

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

I agree with Moseso. A discovery like that warrants a complete teardown of the engine. I'd never sleep well until I discovered the source of the problem and whether there were similar problems developing.

hondo402000

Darth Vader

well if the knocking was half the speed of the engine then its cam related since it turns half the rpm of the engine but appears a complete tear down and rebuild is in order, I think you would know if the thrust washers or washers were missing by removing the appropiate bearing cap, i assume you have the engine out of the car and easy access

Hondo

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Aloha Hondo,

The engine is out of the car and on an engine stand. I've started to tear down the engine, but haven't found anything yet. I mostly have only the external parts removed so far. I'll post an update when I find something.