• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 A wiring harness

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looking to change out my harness to a cloth wrapped one to be more period correct while I have the car apart again. My question is what did they originally use for the insulation on the wires. I seem to remember mine was originally vinyl but that was back in the late 70s. The car is titled as a 1960 and the commission number is TS677... TRF gives you a choice of lacquered cloth or vinyl.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My TR was woven black cloth since new. Randall probably knows when the change to vinyl occurred.

Edit: I'm talking about the wiring harness cover - not the actual insulation on each wire.

Tom

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Mine, TS 73xxx is cloth. Tom

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
The harness in my car 72790 was cloth bound with a yellow tracer thread. If originality is most important , I'd ask first before I ordered. British Wiring made mine and it looks and fit perfectly.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think both the vinyl (PVC?) and braided lacquer wires were covered with black cloth so perhaps the OP's question is about those inner wires (yeah, I know they are technically cables but we all call them wires).

I do not know what was original though I think the lacquered was earlier than TS6nnnn. When I re-did mine I went with the plastic because of how the lacquer braid ages.

The braid first fades, making the colors (especially the tracers) hard to read. Later it starts to turn to powder. Finally it disintegrates completely and now all the wires are black.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One info source: Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A", page 58.

"The wiring looms were colour coded, and always cotton covered up to TS60001. After this point it seems that coverings of either cotton or vinyl plastic were used, possibly because the factory bought in looms from two suppliers. Either type can be considered correct for a late TR3A or TR3B. From TS60001 spade type snap-on connectors were used, and these can be found with either type of wiring loom."

Edit: in the same book, Piggott shows contemporary engine bay photos of black cloth covers with yellow stripes. However, in the photos of a "non-restored" TR2, the cloth covers are solid black with no color stripes.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Pretty much what everyone is saying. I have a 60k+ in which all the wires are vinyl covered, but the bundle groupings are in woven cotton. The TR2 has vinyl wires that also have laquered cotton over each individual wire. The bundles are also cotton covered.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
One info source: Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A", page 58.

"The wiring looms were colour coded, and always cotton covered up to TS60001. After this point it seems that coverings of either cotton or vinyl plastic were used, possibly because the factory bought in looms from two suppliers. Either type can be considered correct for a late TR3A or TR3B. From TS60001 spade type snap-on connectors were used, and these can be found with either type of wiring loom."

Edit: in the same book, Piggott shows contemporary engine bay photos of black cloth covers with yellow stripes. However, in the photos of a "non-restored" TR2, the cloth covers are solid black with no color stripes.
I suppose Piggott is referring to the connectors at the regulator. On earlier cars, I think they were screw eye connectors and most other connectors were the "bullet" type on all cars.
(I don't have access from here to either Piggott or my car, so the comment is from my unreliable memory only)
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
By 60, the individual wires had only colored PVC insulation. Even my TS39781LO had them. However, TS13571L has what appears to be black rubber insulation on the wires, with a braided cloth covering on each wire. No doubt the cloth was originally dyed, but the dye has faded to a uniform brown almost everywhere. Here's a shot where you can see the different styles. The bright colored wires are original wires salvaged from TS39781LO (except for the yellow sleeving).

DSCF0004.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I suppose Piggott is referring to the connectors at the regulator...

Screw type connectors are all over my pre-60K TR3A - gauges, brake switch. control box, flasher, etc. The clamping screw type were pretty good so long as they were tight... but not too tight.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Screw type connectors are all over my pre-60K TR3A - gauges, brake switch. control box, flasher, etc. The clamping screw type were pretty good so long as they were tight... but not too tight.
All of the switches except the horn & turn switches (which were nuts & ring terminals). Generator connections were nuts and ring terminals. Very early wiper motors had clamp screws, but changed to screws and terminals at TS12567 (according to Piggott).

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for all the replys! I'm going to order the vinyl covered wires with the woven cloth cover. How I remember mine was that way and the cloth cover was solid black.

Has anyone ordered one from TRF and does it have the bullet connectors attached?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes they should carry both with and without plus the options for the coverings.
Tell them exactly what you want.
Charley

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You may want to check/ask but I'm thinking the usual harness sold by the Big 3 does not include the runs to the front lights and the daisy chain of red/white leads to the speedo and tach. Also, there is a ground harness behind the dash that you will need to keep or make. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Also note that the harness (at least the one I got) was made to work on either a LHD or RHD car - the difference is slight, only affecting the front turn signal as I recall - but again, something to keep in mind.

A new harness was one of the nicest things I ever did for the car and the mechanic (moi).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Also note that the harness (at least the one I got) was made to work on either a LHD or RHD car - the difference is slight, only affecting the front turn signal as I recall - but again, something to keep in mind.
Which is as original. There is one extra wire that loops from side to side; but which wire is extra depends on whether you are wiring a LHD or RHD car. On RHD, there is a GN wire that winds up not being used; while on LHD it is the GR wire that winds up not being used.

Also not included is the run through the stator tube.

I also advocate adding ground wires for the fuel gauge, fuel gauge sender, and rear lamps. The factory relied on the mountings to ground those things, but they don't always make good contact (especially if the body is freshly painted). You can pick up some black wire and ring terminals at your FLAPS; but the bullets for the rear lamps will need to come from your favorite LBC supplier (the ones at FLAPS don't fit). Some people like to buy the (expensive) bullet crimping tool, but I've just always picked a crimp-type bullet that fits snugly on the wire and soldered it. Buy extra of the smallest size, then in a pinch you can drill them out to suit the wire at hand.

PS, sorry I don't know anything about the harness from TRF.

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My car TS686Xxx has, as Randall said, pvc colored wires all wrapped with braided cloth faded to brown.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine, early 72K, (March 1960) I'm pretty sure came with the black vinyl wrap. I don't agree with everything Piggott says, but I think he's correct on saying that Standard-Triumph probably got their harnesses from more than one supplier. That would explain why cars made two months before and six months after mine had braided cloth wrap.
My POs only chose three sources for parts; Pep Boys, Earl Schieb and Sears, so I'm sure my harness is original. One PO apparently had the usual dirty/corroded connectors problems. So they went out, bought a roll of 16ga. red ignition wire and some crimp connectors. The last 6 inches of every wire under the hood was red 16ga. regardless of what gauge and color the original was.
At that time, I couldn't afford a new harness (if they even existed in 1987), so I removed it, laid it out, unwrapped the vinyl and moved the nice shiny PVC colored wires out where they could be seen. I then went to Pep Boys, bought a roll each of BLACK 16ga. & 14ga. wire and soldered in replacement lengths where they can't be seen. Moss sold the non-adhesive vinyl tape to re-wrap with. Still works.
Frank