• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 wiring harness

mt10flyer

Country flag
Positive/negative comments on wiring harnesses/suppliers and overall quality would be appreciated. I am having some downtime and will use the time to install a new harness. Thanks in advance.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used the PVC covered loom from Moss and it was exactly correct for my car (TS47xxx) though it is possible many vendors get them from the same source.

You might mention whether your thinking of the PVC or lacquer braid as this may affect recommendations.

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used the cloth covered harness from Moss for my 57. I had no problems installing it and everything works. TRF said I should have the cloth covered braided wires but the one I removed from the car was cloth over PVC.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Most cost effective for me was with Rimmer Brothers in the UK - even with shipping it was probably about $50-$100 less expensive than US based sources. And quality is fine.

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Let me add "British Wiring" to your list of potential suppliers. On the advice of a couple of club members I decided to go with British Wire for the full set of new wiring (including custom battery and grounding cables) for my TR-3A restoration. In fact, I'm about to finish up the installation today. I opted for the PVC with cloth braided wrapping on the main harness and the pigtail kits. I've had no problem what so ever with the quality, the wire locations, the color coding, or the fit. They also do motorcycles as well as the classic cars

Josh, their wiring guy was very helpful when I was making my initial inquiries (as well as subsequent Q&A calls) and is one of the reasons I bought from them. They have a wide range of connectors and related wiring products. I'm also into building R/C airplanes so I've ordered parts for that application as well. When I talked to Josh on the last order I explained what I needed the connectors for and asked if he minded if I sent other modelers his way. I was concerned that online orders would often be rather small when compared to the harnesses. He said that the small parts orders were a large part of their online business and they would be glad to have the business.

Here's their web site: https://www.britishwiring.com

Rick...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
As Pat mentioned,I have the Advance wiring harness in my car. The system is quite modern using six relays and eight fuses. The materials are first rate and the instructions very thorough. The relays are generic Bosch style available at any parts store.

That said, the installation process can be intimidating. What you get is a Power Block (as shown in one of the pics below) with a ton of wires attached in several bundles. It's up to you where you want to locate the block, and how you want to run the wires. It's a time consuming installation, but if you're not into originality and want a good wiring set-up, this is about as good as it gets.

BTW, Pat's doing a fine job with his. He's taking his time and he'll have a good, reliable system when he's done.

IMG_0548C.jpgIMG_0505C.JPG

Edit: Also, Advance has the instruction booklet online if you'd like to see more of what it's all about.