• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 Right hand Drive Dash

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Found a mess of of a TR2 for sale. Right hand drive no less.

Is this correct for a dash layout? Sure looks odd to me.

used-1954-triumph-tr2-convertible-9102-5627147-7-640.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks proper to me.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
Looks proper to me.
Me too. The small gauges trade sides to keep the oil pressure & temp nearest the driver.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Looks proper to me. A 1954, right?

What's that toggle switch farthest right on the dash? <covet covet>

Tom
Edit: strange shift handle.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Looks proper to me, too...and looks to be largely original? Any more details or photos? I don't much care for what looks like inexpensive replacement carpet, but the rest looks like the kind of original interior I'd want to preserve as best I could!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Looks proper to me, too...and looks to be largely original? Any more details or photos? I don't much care for what looks like inexpensive replacement carpet, but the rest looks like the kind of original interior I'd want to preserve as best I could!

Original indeed! That's some serious case of sun-fade of that red vynide!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Shouldn't that area housing the center gauges be black in color? It couldn't have faded that much - could it?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The long doors ended at TS4001...Gullwing's over by LaGuardia Airport, not too far from me. Never knew of their existence 'til now.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If this car is solid it might be worth a lot more in the UK. It looks like a respray, but if it is a runner you could work out the old worn-out bits and enjoy driving it while preserving the the best of that old car. I'd say have Art give it a look over!

D

Deleted member 8987

Nothing wrong with RHD, and especially in a TR2!
Gawd, I love those big-mouth cars....my Uncle had one.

But, not from New York with a quick overspray and not for over $15K.

Wonder how much bondo there is?

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Good Grief - $15, for that! Half of that maybe; the first thing is to take the body off and start all over doing it right this time!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD
TRA 2011 in Fort Wayne, Indiana

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
NutmegCT said:
What's that toggle switch farthest right on the dash? <covet covet>
After using Andy's link and zooming on a different photo, I don't believe it's a toggle switch at all. Looks to be an original type heater control, next to an original type OD control. The egg-shaped toggle for the OD didn't come in until later.

Attachments

• 21900.jpg
    21900.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 272

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Lou Metelko said:
Good Grief - $15, for that! Half of that maybe; the first thing is to take the body off and start all over doing it right this time!
Rarely do I disagree with you, Lou, but I'd really want to look over the car thoroughly before being so harsh. Not that I necessarily find the NADA guide all that accurate, they show low / average / high retail for a '54 TR2 @ $10,900 / $23,800 / $36,500; from the pictures shown, this car doesn't seem to be too out of line in terms of asking price. Sure, there are questionable details, not the least of which is stainless beading on the fenders, but it looks to be pretty straight, with good shut lines, etc.

I guess my real question is: could one make the car that much more nearly worth $35k or more without spending nearly that much after purchasing it? and would there be any originality left?

Again, I'd seriously want to consider doing what needed to be done (including fitting "proper" beading), and otherwise preserving whatever I could, including that worn upholstery. But that's me...IF I had the time and money (as always, I have neither)! :laugh:

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
GBRandy said:
Is this correct for a dash layout? Sure looks odd to me.

No, you're right; it does look odd....

used-1954-triumph-tr2-convertible-9.jpg

There, that's better....

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Lou Metelko said:

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD
TRA 2011 in Fort Wayne, Indiana

Lou's reaction speaks exactly to the point I was trying to make in a previous thread. TR3 values sometimes just don't make sense to me....but what do I know...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/687761/1

G

After seeing the TR2 that went for 38 large at Barrett Jackson{TR3 engine as well a multitude of what were they thinking? screw-ups},the price doesnt seen that out of line. That's the asking price. Bet if you walked in with 12 grand in hundred dollar bills an sat them on the desk,you would probably leave with the keys.TR3A's are a dime a dozen.A smallmouth TR3 gets will turn a few heads.Pull in with a long door TR2 and everyone snaps to attention. The real question is-If you can do the work yourself,for an extra 20 grand,you would probably have a pretty nice car.If not- go buy a miata.It's a whole different would if you can do the work .Wonder what the TS# is?

D

Deleted member 8987

I have seen a LOT of cars for sale in my life.
Nice, straight, everything lines up......

It is a wonder what they can do with two inches of Bondo and a long board.
Man, they look better than factory.

Six months later when the bubbles start and chips fly off, you wonder what you've gotten yourself into.

Full inspection, underneath, inside, magnet and maglite.

I see enough on the RH door opening at the shut post, top and bottom, and under dash to make me a tad leery.
But, might be one of those never run in the rain (or salt), just happened to have been parked in a greenhouse for 50 years to get the interior fade.

Door panels off, seats out, carpet out, wheels off on a lift, THEN I might be able to make a determination for myself.

I kinda like the chrome beading, though.
Catchy, it is.

Photos seem to be done in a way to not quite allow you to see certain areas.
What's that creeping out between RH inner and outer wing?

Is that brown spot rust already coming through at the base of the RR bumper?

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
It's becoming difficult to value long door TR2's, being so rare. Despite RHD for UK and Oz markets, these cars bring big money in Europe.

Seeing it's got the later thermostat housing, it's likely to be between TS 1201 and 4001. The faded trim is strange and almost looks like a combination of Geranium and Red.

It has the correct cable pull hood release, and trimmed centre guage panel, rather than TR3A crinkle black. As mentioned by others the wing beads should be vynil covered flexible piping.

The push-pull overdrive switch was used on all long door TR2's, and it's arguably worth more with an overdrive, although in long door cars it was a weaker version and only operated on top gear.

It still has the correct low port head and 1.5" SU's, which is fairly rare, as many TR2's are now fitted with high port heads.

Subject to inspection for bondo and the condition underneath, considering it's 56 years old, it looks to be quite unmolested. Decent trim would lift it no end.

Dealers usually have a bit of negotiating money on, so it's probably available a bit cheaper than the advertised price.

Regards,

viv.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hey,

Who did`nt like my comments on this topic?

I know what I did. I mentioned the Sellers name perhaps in vain!!

Sorry about that.

Russ